Home Stamps Forum

Any great finds by anyone lately? Please POST

Love to hear of any great find discoveries by anyone. Please POST your story.

Comments

• Finally was able to purchase a nice Luxembourg #1 cover for my collection:
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Neat clean beauty.
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    No, but am expecting arrival of 2 bulk lots purchased from Apfelbaum to arrive in the next hour or so. Should be some interesting revenue cancels (hoping).
  • EDU - Thanks.

My lots from Corinphila sale just arrived - a favorite here:

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • You have superior taste in quality, excellent covers!
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the significance of the cover itself, but I *love* that SON cancel. Great design too!
  • Thanks - It is a cheap stamp (25c or so) with a rare and popular postmark. For my collection of single rate, domestic use, imperf classics on cover to 1860. Actually, when I collected Austria 40 years ago I admired that cancel type of Austria but could not afford even an example off-cover. For my current collection, I look for spectacular examples of things that are otherwise common uses. That Luxembourg cover I showed before is an early print, has a mute cancel and from a small rural origin town.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Not to hijack a nice thread but is it possible the infamous forum blog has finally come to an end?

• You shouldn't have said that (bad luck) now it will probably show up again AHHHHHHHH!
  • See it showed up...
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> See it showed up...

I moved it down to the bottom. It will scroll off next time around if it remains inactive. Not posting to it is the key.

• I just put this cover on ebay (seller "1covers") - it was cancelled with a two cent piece.

ebay link:

here

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Now that's different. Never heard of a stamp canceled with a coin and a 2 cent piece no less!
  • EDU - Marshall postmaster was the only one known to do this and there about 5 to 10 examples known. The earlier hald dimes and dimes were used as stampless rate markings rarely.

Below is a cover I'v had but just re-discovered in trash box. Early ANS corner card:
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Very interesting
  • This came in yesterday (and qualifies as a great find by my standards):

Letter addressed to Capt. Semmes, Confed Govt Str 'Alabama' datelined Singapore Nov 20, 1863 from the firm of Cumming Beaver & Co. The one page letter reads:

Dear Sir, We represent your governments interest at this port & hearing you were outside take this opportunity of advising you, that we are prepared to further your views in any way you may point out. If you require any outfit or supplies we will send them to you & a letter given to bearer will reach us safely. We send you some papers which may prove interesting & remain, yours in haste, Cumming Beaver & Co.

The boat carrying this letter to Semmes was interecepted by the USS Wyoming in the harbor and news of it was relayed to the Sec. of Navy Welles by Commander D. McDougal on November 30, 1863 (see OR, page 506-507 which contains the account and a transcript of this letter). There is known a photo of the CSS Alabama taken December 1863 at Singapore.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • I believe this qualifies as a great find by anyone's standard. I know your reputation allows you access to items that most of us can only dream of seeing but you also have the knowledge to recognize the great items. Thanks for sharing.

Rolin
  • Yes definitely an amazing item!
  • It's always a treat to see what covers has.
  • A collection I just wrote up for a client link & title page:

Here

"Battle of Hampton Roads"

Title Page:

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com