Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

#2 All-Time Lincoln Memorial Registry Set on the Auction Block

Hello All,

All the Modern bashers will probably say who cares, but the #2 All-Time PCGS Lincoln Memorial Registry Set, the S & L set, is being auctioned by Bowers & Merena at the Baltimore show coming up in a couple of weeks. I've been chasing Memorial cents for about 6 years now, and this set contains the biggest group of very low POP Memorials that I have seen sold at one time. It is loaded with single digit POP coins, some of which I have never seen sold via auction. Seems to me sets of wheats and proof Lincolns come across the auction block fairly regularly, including mine last year, but this is the first very highly rated complete set of Memorials to go on the auction block that I am aware of. It should be interesting to see what prices some of these bring. What do you all think?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    S & L set linked

i'm happy in away you don't have the 2 i dread appearing before i'm ready....the 64 sms & 65 sms 65+cam
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I am interested in the 1985's... argh, AUCTION image
  • Options
    Hi Dan. I hope you're well!

I really wish the owner would have pcgs buy back coins like this ms69 1985-d rather than have some other slab collector pay $1000's for it. (And pcgs, it may have spotted after grading but look at that strike. You should be ashamed). There are very few coins in this set that will improve my set. I probably can't afford the few that can.
  • Options
    Jaime, are any of the 68's my coins? 68-D?
  • Options
    No, he's owned those for a long time. I think that set has been complete since at least 2005.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>No, he's owned those for a long time. I think that set has been complete since at least 2005. >>

aaahhhh........to be young again. image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    This is a great set and second only to Dan's set. I know the set has one low pop coin missing that was there a month ago. I have interest in 2 of the coins, if the price is reasonable. I also agree that the 85D looks like an ms67rd. If I
    paid moon money for that coin, I'd certainly be very disappointed when it arrived. Always nice to hear from the responders on this thread.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    There are some very nice Memorials in this collection, but I hope PCGS will be looking to buy some of these back. Many of the toners don't qualify as RD any longer and that usually means MS67 max as well.

David
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be watching.

Best of luck.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be intersted to see what those MS70RD's do.
  • Options
    Only one of the MS70RD's sold and two did not. It looks like about 10%-20% didn't make reserve. Prices seemed to be all over the place. There appeared to be quite a few great buys. There should be a lot of green on the PCGS price guide soon. Congrats to any new owners.

David