Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I think robec got this 1911's reverse pretty good!

Robec:

Not Robec:

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i still need to send you that cd my friend...yeah bob nailed that "pure-plain & simple" mind you dealing with it in plastic

i'm also glad to see that ex-brian 11' stay in this pcgs family

just let me know if he ever-ever gets home sick...1st things 1st or no x-mas card fer youimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Hah image She is safe with me I promise!!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah...nobody pays any attention to Abes rear end...............
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    As I noted in another thread, robec has moved up a few notches in my list of forum photographers. #1 for color shots. image

Just wish he could get both the color and the detail of luster in the same shot. Unfortunately that's a tough thing in photography for anyone. If you go for detail and color then the fields tend to get blurred in the mix. image
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Ben. Those are generous compliments. It's lots of luck, hair pulling and of course some great models. I am sure you'll have plenty to show us of your photographic prowess in a couple of weeks with Teddy's 1912. I, for one, am really looking forward to your images.image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Ben. Those are generous compliments. It's lots of luck, hair pulling and of course some great models. I am sure you'll have plenty to show us of your photographic prowess in a couple of weeks with Teddy's 1912. I, for one, am really looking forward to your images.image >>

I got the straight shots ok, but my good lights died while I had this coin and could not get any color on angle shots. image

That said, I am really looking forward to your shots and messydesks shots. image
  • Options
    where did utah come from ayeimage

krazy andy warhol type of copper there
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several things are working against a coin photographer, but every once in a while, it will all come together.

There is usually one optimal solution to capturing detail on a coin. Usually, the straight on shot will suffice, medium aperture, with a decent length exposure. Usually, you want to balance the depth of field with the sharpness curve on your lens to produce an optimal sharpness. A wide open aperture will produce minimum DOF, and show the least amount of scratches on the plastic, but until you get one or two stops below wide open, your sharpness will suffer. Go too far, and all you see is holder hairlines. Balance is the key.

As for color, well that's the real crap-shoot. You usually have to spend a great deal of time trying to find the optimal tilt angle for the camera or coin or both in conjunction with flash position to get close to what you see just holding the coin up to a light. If the angle is too far off, or worse, right in conjunction with the maximum holder glare, then you are pretty much stuck with a sub optimal result. Furthermore, your camera represents a single point of reference, and will never give off the same harmonic waves of light that a pair of eyes receives upon viewing. Usually, there is so much more going on that a camera lens could never pick up. It's depressing.

It's pretty obvious to me looking at the above images that the second (not robec) image was taken out of the holder... never mind the fact that you can see the rims. The refractive angle is great on that shot. The detail is not so great, but still nice. My guess is that were Bob able to mimic the lighting and setup and camera settings used on the raw shot, the holder glare would prohibit a useable image. I have the same exact problem in the extreme with my 1913. The eye-appeal angle is so incredibly coincident with the holder glare that it's almost impossible to shoot the green color so evident under a loupe. You almost have to use a loupe just to see it, as the naked eye is just too wide open and allows too much glare. For that coin, the true-view may be the only option.

Now I want to be perfectly clear, I am not a big proponent of the true-view. You just lose too much creative control of the shot when sending in those coins for their "one-view" image that will now serve as the final authority on how the coin looks. Regardless of the skill employed by the PCGS photographer, these coins will always represent more to the owner than their one image can provide. Personally, I would like to get several true-views of a single coin showing multiple refractive angles and an optimal detail shot thrown in. That, we may never see.

Now, to get some work done.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to come up with a consumer 3-d digital camera. Or maybe a hologram.
  • Options
    hey matt,
    astounding read and depth on the subject

you may not be aware but becoka (ben) has in his sigline a devoute website most on pcgs is aware of with a forum specializing just on coin imaging...you may want to drop in there

you are top notch my friend...i swear i've seen your images and ponder if the coins were a raw shoot or not...your 15 image is simply amazing beyond words

i ponder how a layered shot would work if details could be aligned as not to lose sharpness of lines

you may not of seen this image utahcoin pulled off of my 12' but here's his (wes) color shot and you'll oneday have this 12' in hand if you'd like in the future if so desired

enjoy as the colors on this 12 are that true in hand...the most incredible red i've ever seen on a coin bob ever claimed it looks like nail polish...it's a lil more red and less blue in hand.looks like he was right at a glare point as it lightly hazed but the red is a lil more profound and the blue less...interesting shot though as it has crisp detail-depth of color hue-gloss of patina