Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2001 Kennedy's from the US Mint

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
After reading DoUPlayOnePocket post on the 2001 Kennedy's he ordered from the mint I thought I'd give it a try for my "missing clad" 2001 Kennedy.

Struck out big time! Damn!

As I opened the first bag, something struck me like a ton of bricks! The mint is creating a whole new rarity and possibly new collectible by continuing to offer these 2001 coins! The reason I say this is that the bags I opened had some very nice "bag toned" Kennedy's. Not the best mind you but in another couple of years, some of these are going to look really nice!

image .. image

image .. image

Secondary to the "developing" toners, I also ran across 3 examples of a Kennedy Reverse Die that was very close to "exploding" as a continuous crack had developed on the stars beginning at around 10 o'clock and continuing to about 7:30! These three coins actually look bent and counter-punched.

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

The last photo gives an indication of how serious this crack actually is.

Lastly, I ran across a couple of weird ones.

The first coin has a "dot" on the right portion of the shield on the reverse.

The second coin had what looks like a "hooded" Eagle on the reverse.

I picked about 20 of these out and started looking a bit more closely. Each of the "dot" coins, also had the "hooded" eagle. Some, but not all had an extreme die clash visible on the obverse.

image .. image

After trying to analyze and figure out what that "hood" was on the eagle, I concluded that the hood is actually the lower part of JFK's ear while the "dot" is the entrance to the Ear Canal.

Not really a big deal but in all the Kennedy's I;ve looked at, I've just never come across such an extreme die clash.

So, I'll order another couple of bags in a year or two and who knows, maybe the toning will solidify into something substantial and/or maybe I'll find my "Missing Clad Layer" coin.

In the mean time, I gotta figure out what to do with all these Kennedy's!

Edited to correct my stupidity!

Did it work? image
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Interesting.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
    The bag toning is quite common, even on the newer 2007 or 2008 bags...but that die crack and clashed die are really nice image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I haven't read Sumorada's post on the 2001 Kennedy's, Do you have a link?
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't read Sumorada's post on the 2001 Kennedy's, Do you have a link? >>

I'm sorry, it wasn't Sumorada but DoUPlayOnePocket. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I bought those $100 Mixed P&D bags back in 2004 when they were first introduced, and that is where I found my specimen missing the reverse clad layer. I also found several of the specimens with what appears to be the reverse clash. Coin World ran an article about it in late 2004. I never examined the obverse of mine for any clashes, but it appears the reverse has more than just a clash. The lateral mark to the right of the eagle's head which crosses the rays looks like it was initially from the bottom line of Kennedy's ear, and as you surmised, I agree that the raised dot on the shield is from the deepest recess of the inner ear.

But, I think there is more to it than just a clash. Note that the lateral mark appears to be doubled. In some of my specimens, the mark is shorter but it grows progressively longer in three distinct stages. Also, the "swollen" area on the right side of the eagle's head and neck doesn't appear to coincide with any part of Kennedy's jaw or neck which you would think it would. I think the clash may have caused a die break where a lateral part of the surface of the die broke away. I sent an e-mail to Coin World as a follow-up to their article and they ran it in a later issue, but were not able to formulate a definite cause.

Good luck in your quest to find one missing the clad layer. To the best of my knowledge, only two exist. What makes it so interesting now is the fact that you received bags from the Mint with the same clash as mine 4 years after I bought the bags. Like I said, it was in those bags with the clash that I found the one missing the clad layer. It would be cool if you came up with one missing the obverse layer.

Chris

• Options
    I'd guess spending that many years in a bag would result in nice toning. What I can't figure out is WHY the mint made SO many of that one particular year. To make so many of them that, 8 years later, they'd still have bags and bags for sale, almost as if they were still minting them? .
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd guess spending that many years in a bag would result in nice toning. What I can't figure out is WHY the mint made SO many of that one particular year. To make so many of them that, 8 years later, they'd still have bags and bags for sale, almost as if they were still minting them? . >>

It wasn't that they produced more than any average year, but they were never put into circulation in 2001. The Mint simply came up with another of their great marketing ideas to get customers to spend more money. Instead of releasing them into circulation at face value, they sold the $100 bags for $135. They killed three birds with one stone.

Chris
  • Options
    Awesome cracked coin. I like it.image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    The die cracked coins caught my attention because they are convex like a concho from the reverse. It is very slight but definitely there. The obverse shows very slight concaving as well but you have to look very closely since the design elements do not tend to reflect it as well as the reverse does.

(9999)

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool finds.

I wonder if that reverse die finally fell apart or was it caught in time.

V/R

Sumdunce
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

Looks like the 2001 Kennedys have been removed from mints' website.

And the 2008s are selling like hotcakes!

• Options
    They are part of the discontinued product sale which is tomorrow night...
  • Options
    The last two bags I received scored nada! Zilch! Nothing!

Two more bags are on their way from the Last Chance sale which will hopfully give me a good reason for having 800 Kennedy's laying around the house!

The trouble with these coins is that you can't use them in vending machines, using them for tips requires carrying a lot of them around and the banks are not really, really happy when you bring them in!

What to do, oh what to do! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The trouble with these coins is that you can't use them in vending machines, using them for tips requires carrying a lot of them around and the banks are not really, really happy when you bring them in!

What to do, oh what to do! image >>

Ive tried havles at the Walmart self check out and it kicks them out - so they get all my small dollars coins. a roll of 25 goes in real fast

of the few places where i go buy and shop - i usally spend those dollars coins because i get a rebate on my credit card - i had one cashier ask me a few questions on coins that she got from time to time to let me look at and what i thought. she knew i was the coin guy

maybe Lee you should just start spending them at your local stores. if you get some strange looks just tell some tall tales like you got them as a christmas present, they came from Las Vegas, grandmother saved them. Give some short sentimental story with them-makes cashiers more accepting. just a thought

Snowman
  • Options

<< <i>The last two bags I received scored nada! Zilch! Nothing!

Two more bags are on their way from the Last Chance sale which will hopfully give me a good reason for having 800 Kennedy's laying around the house!

What to do, oh what to do! image >>

My buddy used his to pay his mortgage payment, I'm sure they weren't happy about that...When he told me, I said you did what?
  • Options
    Well one thing is for certain, I know I can't use these to pay traffic tickets in some locals! image

Oh well, the other two bags arrived today.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The Sacagaweas have some great bag toning. I set aside about 100 super high grade 08-D's and placed them in bags. Hopefully in a few years rainbow MS68's will be common image
  • Options
    On a lark, I submitted my Die Kracked-Kennedy's and both of them got labeled "Reverse Die Crack" and graded MS62 as Mint Error's.

I'll post pictures when they arrive.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Good find and I'll look for Da pics...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file