Home Metal Detecting
Options

Whites' DFX first time out and some questions for you pro's

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
After a few trips to the local beach, I recently went on my first field hunt with two locals, really nice guys, that have had some awesome luck recently, judging by the bags and bags of coins, very nice buttons, and other stuff. The gentleman that asked me to go recently found a 14k chain about 8" long.

We took off to a few fields in southern Maryland this past Friday. I had a DFX with the standard coil. We were out from about 9am to 4:30. I found a nice Stanley hammer, probably left there within the past year and a button. I had a few nice hits, +45 and up, sweeping over several times to pinpoint its location but when I dug my small hole and pulled the dirt out to search, the detector didn't pick anything up. I shifted the dirt around and still nothing. I know that a coin on its side will not be picked up as easily but dang. I was starting to think something is wrong with the detector after a while. It would have a bunch of nice hits, I'd zero in, and dig the hole and then nothing. I would even tilt the detector at a 45 degree angle to the dirt to see if I could pick it up like that. So that was frustrating. Is there anything I coudl have done to avoid this?

Overall, it was a beautiful fall day and the exercise was great. Even though I didn't find a buried treasure, I had a good time. The other guys with me were all using large coins and they found a 1781 Spanish real, a large head cent, an undated Indian head cent, some buttons, and an old hand made chain about 1’ long. I hope the guys that took me out will continue to do so. I don't think I got in their way very much. I took the etiquette of fishing. Stay out of their fishing hole unless they ask you over.

A few questions I have now.

Where can I find a large search coil for the DFX at a reasonable price? White's website has one for $249 but I thought I could get a better deal somewhere else. I would love to find one BIN on eBay so I can use the MSN discount.

Are there any recommended presets for the DFX for field searching with very little trash? Is relic mode the best mode to be in large fields? I was in coin/jewelry mode all day when we went out last Friday.

Comments

• Options
    Your "coin/jewelry" should work fine.

If the DFX hits on iron/rust...then when you dig and disturb the target, you might loose the signal. :-(
    Rust acts that way.
    I would stay with the coil you have till you get more time on the DFX.

You can ask you buds to let you pass your coil over their target before they dig!

Good luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I agree with crock......Learn the unit with the standard coil...learn it's quirks and the way it responds to different targets....It's often a big mistake to go out and buy several coils immediately.....Learn it like it is,,,you won't be sorry...

As far as the rust....in an area that has old targets, looking for relics, that is going to happen...the area where the nail used to be will still be rusty, but the nail is often long gone...When you disturb the area, the target vanishes,
  • Options
    Jimmy Sierra sells coils specially designed for the DFX if you are so inclined.