Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

71 ikes

wasnt there a few variations of ike dollar coins , something to do with the islands off of florida. I might be totally wrong but i wanted to touch base and ask. Ive been out of the coin loop for quite some time.
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1972 not 1971

1972 Dollar Types

All the IKE info you ever wanted to know,,,,,,,

The IKE Group Web Site

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    There are some differences in Islands on the 71 Ikes as well....namely, the
    FEV (Friendly Eagle)71-D Ikes. Best place to go for this info is Ikegroup.org.

Brian
  • Options
    taxbuster1040taxbuster1040 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    Hey Grandam, thanks for the ike group link... great website!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian is of course right on the 1971 varieties with the FEV.

I just thought you were talking about the (3) 1972 varieties?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    <<Brian is of course right on the 1971 varieties with the FEV.

I just thought you were talking about the (3) 1972 varieties?>>

The 1971's also have 3 reverse varieties.
    Proofs are T 2 with high relief and incuse touchup.
    Other strikes are low relief T 1 with the exception of
    a few of the 1971 D FEV also in low relief.

• Options
    Also, keep an eye out for 71 proofs with the low relief T1 reverse. There are at least 2 of these!

Aaron
  • Options
    And let's not forget Lee's "Prototype" Ike, its Earth has the barely visible islands of the 1970 Galvano. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    There's also the Peg Leg(71D & unc 71S), PCGS attributes the 71S unc. PCGS also attributes the PF 71S (the FS dranatic DDO). Then there's all those great minor DDO/DDR's, and that beautiful S/S. Yeah, there's a lot of Ikes to like....
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    John, right on!

My next task for our web site is a comprehensive photographic Ike Catalog. I have a lot of work ahead, LOL!

DIVA terms will help ("SB" for Silver Business strike, for example) and we have a lot of information already posted, but melding all the articles into a consistent presentation with relevance, specificity and accuracy (ie, the opposite of current catalog efforts) should help propel Ikes and their significant varieties into the mainstream.
    Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

• Options
    "My next task for our web site is a comprehensive photographic Ike Catalog. I have a lot of work ahead, LOL!"

Thanks Rob, I'm looking forward to seeing that.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭
    Everything to look for has already been mentioned so I can add nothing more........

There, now all seven of us have responded!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    1971 low relief proof... I did not know about that one...

Feeling a bit sick since there were about 30 brown box 1971s in the collection I got (contained the Peg Leg '73 proof and the two S/S) and I dumped them at a local B&M because I do not collect proof Ikes and needed the space in my safe.

Guess my tomorrow lunch will involve heading there. I hope he has not moved them yet.

S
  • Options
    What does the below mean?

Goals for 2008:
    1.) Westwood NJ Nat. <Completed>

Was there a National Bank Note issued from Westwood, NJ?

Thanks,
    John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1971 low relief proof... I did not know about that one...

Feeling a bit sick since there were about 30 brown box 1971s in the collection I got (contained the Peg Leg '73 proof and the two S/S) and I dumped them at a local B&M because I do not collect proof Ikes and needed the space in my safe.

Guess my tomorrow lunch will involve heading there. I hope he has not moved them yet.

S >>

LaMont!

Its not like you to pass up potentially premium IKEs! What were you thinking?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee,

Yeah, I really was just out of touch on that decision. I am guessing the likelihood of them being premium was small since none had DDO, DDR or "Peg Leg". Also, I am thinking that something like an odd earth would have caught my attention.

Still will have to go look just to be sure. Even though I really don't like the proofs as much as I like the mint state Ikes, I can always make room for another variety in my collection.

V/R

Sumdunce
  • Options
    <<1.) Westwood NJ Nat. <Completed>

Was there a National Bank Note issued from Westwood, NJ?>>

The First National Bank of Westwood #8777 was incorporated July 1907 with a capital of $25,000. This was as small as you could go and the bank issued modest amounts of currency throughout the remainder of the note issuing period. The 2006 Kelly shows 8 large notes and 22 small size notes known. I would consider that a fairly generous quantity considering the size of the bank.
  • Options
    <<There's also the Peg Leg(71D & unc 71S), PCGS attributes the 71S unc. PCGS also attributes the PF 71S (the FS dranatic DDO). Then there's all those great minor DDO/DDR's, and that beautiful S/S. Yeah, there's a lot of Ikes to like.... >>

I have reread this thread, and I realize nobody has specifically pointed out the 1971S Peg leg and serif R's.
    This one really fascinates me because we now know (and actually originally knew till the mint changed their story) the peg leg was the original design. The serif was added in a most crude fashion earning the name funny foot. 1971 S proofs are alone in having this particular serif. This is discussed in the Ike Group article in the January 2008 'the Numismatist".

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file