Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error IKE - help please

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
Hello and good friday night to everyone.

I came across this IKE dollar. At first glance it looks struck through grease or something to that effect. But if you look at the pictures you might notice that on the obverse and reverse the coin are finned all around the coin; it is most obvious near the TY in Liberty and on the left side of the REV.

Also, the coin is light, it weighs in at 22.5 grams / normal weight is supposed to be 22.68.

Could this be a die trial? Or maybe a weak strike due to the light weight?
Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Looks struck through grease to me.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Tolerances are + or - .9 grams so it's within specs. It was struck thru grease or crud. If it were a weak strike the details would be uniformly weak.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    So what about the finned edges? What might cause that?
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The planchet metal that didn't fill the design recesses of the crud filled die squeezed out between the die & collar instead.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Your coin:

image .. image

If the reeding is sharp, it would be a grease filled die, if the reeding is weak, it could be a die trial strike. I am in no way an expert regarding this subject matter though.

BTW, I do not see any finning as much as I see a nice even rim. There is a difference.

I sent this coin in to PCGS on an error ticket as a "die adjustment" strike:

It came back thusly:

This is not a Type 2 coin and I don't know that I agree with the attribution (or lack thereof) as I did not specifically photograph the reeding. However, I would expect less rim over the the E and R on the obverse for this to be simply an AU55 coin. After all, the rim is there to "protect" the design elements and enable stacking.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it is struck through grease obverse and reverse.

Nice coin.

S
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Lee,
    <<This is not a Type 2 coin and I don't know that I agree with the attribution>>
    Did you mis-type here and mean "Not a Type 1 coin"?

Since they flubbed the Type 1 designation, they are obligated to correct it...I would also
    have them correct it to be a grease-filled die in the process. (at no charge, of course).

jmcu12's Is a Type 1 and (IMHO) struck thru grease as well.

Brian
    I Love image Error & Variety Ikes! image
  • Options
    I am not as up on IKE varieties as I am on other series. What is the difference between type 1 and 2. Which one is rarer?
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    For the 76 Ikes, the Type 1 is more scarce.
    Brian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file