Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

autograph authenticate fee system

Maybe it's just me but why does PSA/DNA charge different price for different autograph authentication base on the player?

I mean the effort that goes into authenticating should be the same. I am sure they have developed a system that goes something like comparing signature A with known signatures in database. They would and suppose to spend the equal intensity and labor to authenticate any signature. What I am trying to say is that, the "labor" or the "act" of authenticating is constant cost and itself has no intrinsic value relative to the underlying card.

To me that's like saying that the per-unit electricity that the electric company is charging me become more expensive when I use HDTV versus my old black/white TV. The electricity itself is independent to the underlying device or medium. Am I wrong?

Austin
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    It's because no one fakes Jose Maria Olazabal autographs and everyone fakes Tiger Woods. There is a lot more work involved in authenticating some autographs.
  • Options
    It would be like saying a Ferrari and a Ford should cost the same. They're both just cars...right?
  • Options

<< <i>It would be like saying a Ferrari and a Ford should cost the same. They're both just cars...right? >>

Ahh ... well ... that's not quite what I said. If you didn't understand my original statement, it's more like a car washer charges more for a car wash on a Ferrari vs a Ford. It's the service that renders on the underlying object that I am questioning, certainly not on the differing value of objects themselves.

But of course I can be wrong, just want to get you'all thoughts on that.

Austin
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭
    psa wants a cut of the larger $ items, thus they charge more for them. They know you will pay it.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It would be like saying a Ferrari and a Ford should cost the same. They're both just cars...right? >>

Ahh ... well ... that's not quite what I said. If you didn't understand my original statement, it's more like a car washer charges more for a car wash on a Ferrari vs a Ford. It's the service that renders on the underlying object that I am questioning, certainly not on the differing value of objects themselves.

But of course I can be wrong, just want to get you'all thoughts on that.

Austin >>

I realize what I said was a stretch. I guess a lot of it has to do with the underlying liability though. If PSA/DNA authenticates something worth very little and are wrong, there isn't too much liability. If they authenticate a higher value item and are wrong, they could be liable for much more money. Therefore, they charge more for higher value items as a sort of insurance.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>Maybe it's just me but why does PSA/DNA charge different price for different autograph authentication base on the player?

I mean the effort that goes into authenticating should be the same. I am sure they have developed a system that goes something like comparing signature A with known signatures in database. They would and suppose to spend the equal intensity and labor to authenticate any signature. What I am trying to say is that, the "labor" or the "act" of authenticating is constant cost and itself has no intrinsic value relative to the underlying card.

To me that's like saying that the per-unit electricity that the electric company is charging me become more expensive when I use HDTV versus my old black/white TV. The electricity itself is independent to the underlying device or medium. Am I wrong?

Austin >>

Hi Austin,

I contacted PSA/DNA to ask why they charge what they do for different players.

Here's what I was told by Diana Bolivar from PSA/DNA:

"Thank you for contacting Customer Service. Our fees are based off the notoriety of the individual."

PoppaJ

Thank you