Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: CUD, just a Die Crack, or Die Chip? 20c Piece

Ok gang, I want to know whether you feel that the object at the 8 o'clock dentil is a "Dentil CUD", a "Die Crack", or Die Chip?
If you don't know what a CUD is, it is an area of a coin originally formed by a die crack where part of the original die has become pushed up or out leaving a void on the planchet.

If you can, please give me a reason why you chose the answer that you did.

I have my own opinion on what it is, but I don't want to skew the results, so I will leave my opinion out for now.

Edited to add: Disclaimed this is not an image of my coin, but I do have one like this.....And the date of the coin is 1875-S

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It's a cud cuz a small piece is missing from the die.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I'd call it a die chip (because it's not severe) but it could also be called a small cud since a small area of the edge of the die is missing.

Ed
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a cud, imo.

Both denticles appear to still be there - it's a
    die crack/die chip, but not a genuine cud.

Another few hundred coins more or less, and
    it might've turned into a 'retained cud'..........

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Not a cud, imo.

Both denticles appear to still be there - it's a
    die crack/die chip, but not a genuine cud.

Another few hundred coins more or less, and
    it might've turned into a 'retained cud'.......... >>

Thanks Fred and Ed

I've updated the poll to reflect those two conclusions; of which I can agree with.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a chip to me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I changed my mind! It's a die chip and has Another few hundred coins more or less, before
    it might turn into a cud'..........
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a die crack. It is the mid stage of this die state. After a few hundred more coins, the die crack is more prominent through UNITED and to the eagle's right wing. It is a neat progression set when you can put one together. They are not that difficult to find.

To the best of my memory, there are no cuds known for this series (then again, I vaguely recall something in one of the cud books...but I am not near my library at this time and I could be wrong). There are some pieces (1875-S) that show some rim cuds, but nothing in the denticles. No retained cuds have been reported to date for this series.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you don't know what a CUD is, it is an area of a coin originally formed by a die crack where part of the original die has become pushed up or out leaving a void on the planchet. >>

To be a bit more accurate, a cud, which is correctly called a major die break, is where a portion of the die has broken off (not pushed up) and the void is filled during striking. It generally includes the rim, but if not, it is considered an "internal cud" or internal major die break.

The "cud" nickname was coined because the resulting "blob" on the coin resembles a cow's cud.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late state die chip...
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about a die being deformed by something like a piece of steel wire, similar to a coin having a struck through depression, and causing this "mark" in the die? It just does not look like cud, chip or crack to me.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about a die being deformed by something like a piece of steel wire, similar to a coin having a struck through depression, and causing this "mark" in the die? >>

When properly heat treated die steel is excessively harder than any piece of steel wire or other material that might find it's way between the dies.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a coin with "personality", and pretty neat!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    I vote "None of the above". It just looks like circulated damage to me. If anything, it would more likely be a filled die chip where one of the "flutes" raised above the field surface of the die to form the denticles has broken away. A "rim cud" occurs when a die break or crack extends from the rim inward, meanders along the rim and then returns to another part of the rim. That part of the die which has broken away is then filled by the planchet material flowing into the void. The shape of the cud, itself, could be oblong, arc-like or even concave (like a hot dog when it is cooked). JMHO

Chris
  • Options
    That is a die chip
    Jazzcoin s Joe
    Coins are a work of art
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    die crack
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-cud die break w/chip. No big thing. Nice coin though.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Due to the lower grade of the coin it hard to say exactly what it is at this point. The wear on top of the crack only makes it resemble a cud or the metal pressed up into the depression left when a section of the die has broken and fallen out.

My feeling is that it is at best a retained cud and at worst a severe die crack. It is not a die chip of any sort...

Hey Jazzcoins, image to the forums, but give me back my avatar!!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    Always difficult to be certain on a circulated coin... I'm inclined towards chip, but could be a cud...
    -George
    42/92

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file