Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Peace Dollar and the "War to End War"

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
The Peace Dollar and the “War to End War”
from the November 2008 Whitman Review:

Tuesday, November 11, 2008, is the 90th anniversary of the armistice that ended what was the most traumatic war in human history. The day is officially marked by nations worldwide, celebrated as Armistice Day, Remembrance Day, or—in the United States—Veterans Day.

America’s last 90% silver dollar—the Peace dollar of 1921 to 1935—was created as a tangible symbol of the end of World War One, which had raged from 1914 to 1918.

Now, award-winning researcher Roger W. Burdette has written A Guide Book of Peace Dollars, which will debut with a special offer on November 11 ... ---> Continue reading --->

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I know it better as:

"The War To End All Wars"

"On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, in 1918, the Armistice was signed, bringing to an end one of the bloodiest chapters in Man's history."

But you're a little early, it's Halloween!!!

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    That's Albert Pollard's quote from 1917; some historians, politicians, etc., have used "war to end all war," some say "war to end war."

Why not Halloween? Roger's book is a treat!

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I heard a rumor that it might be possible to get this book signed by the author, even though the distribution is being done by some enormous corporate publishing conglomerate. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    The author is in the greater District of Columbia area, the publisher's in Atlanta, the printer's in [redacted], the score lines are sitting in a box in the Old New Orleans Mint, waiting to be applied to the covers, and the autographs are in a manila envelope in London. The situation is like a Rubik's Cube.

Rumor has it RWB will be at the Baltimore Expo with a pen, ready to sign covers, title pages, etc.

• Options
    I think RWB should have a book signing at a well know silver spring dealers B&M:&ltimage
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    If the "well known" dealer wants to host a book signing for his stock, I'll be pleased to participate without charge. The same for others, too. All I ask is that there be enough books to sign to warrant the travel given DC area traffic and cost of gas.

I will be at the Baltimore show in Nov (on Saturday) and if Whitman wants to advertise a couple of book signing sessions, I'll be there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file