Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should someone like Heritage create an interactive computer program that dealers use during lot view

I am always looking to increase Heritage's bottom line (not that they need much help from me, because they are doing pretty well on their own). We all know that the Heritage catalogs are getting bigger and bigger, and the dealers end up lugging what seems to be a 100 lbs of catalogs to shows in anticipation of lot viewing.

I was thinking if there is an easier way to do this. In another thread, an excessively prominent dealer mentioned that he is keeping his old catalogs because they have notes written in them. I think this is an opportunity for Heritage.

Can Heritage develop interactive software that is used in the lot viewing room, that will allow for dealers to input notes as they view the lots? For example, say the dealer looks at Lot # 123. Let's further assume that the coins are barcoded by Heritage, and each lot viewing station has a Heritage laptop or computer available. Is there a way for Heritage to have a system whereby the dealer slides a wand over the barcode, and the lot pops up on the screen? Then the dealer can use that same wand to write notes on a touchpad in his own handwriting (which would show up in a "notes" section on the screen), or the dealer can type comments on a keyboard. After viewing all of his lots, the dealer can then press a button, and get a print out (in color) of the lots and his notes.

I think this would be very efficient, and to me, it seems easy to implement, particularly since Heritage has a lot of this information on its computer system already.

This will help out the dealers because it will cut down on the amount of paper they need to carry, and they will have their notes all in one place. Maybe it would be possible for the dealers to burn a CD on the spot for future electronic reference, or email their lot viewings and notes to their offices. It will help out Heritage because they will have a better idea of the lots that people are viewing, and it can be used to track metrics, such as ultimate selling prices vs. coins reviewed at lot viewing.

For the computer gurus in the house, is this system possible? Does anyone think this is viable, or just a waste of money for Heritage to implement?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a businessperson, of sorts image , virtually anything is possible. The cost associated with having laptops at 100 or so viewing stations, including the software and IT support for all of this would probably be difficult for Heritage to justify, especially in light of the fact that everyone seems reasonably happy about things the way they are now. Furthermore, it would be very easy for a dealer to bring his own laptop into the viewing area and add notes to the coins online listings (have you ever noticed that feature?).

I guess if Stack's tried something like this and, as a result, was able to gain some of Heritage's market share, perhaps Heritage would be looking into it. This would, of course, require Stack's to upgrade those Commodore 64 CPUs that they have been sporting for the past 20 years or so. image

Finally, I am a huge fan of dealer auction notes. Notes made by experienced dealers in 1999 and 2005 have helped keep me from making horrible buying blunders in 2008.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Heritage already does offer "interactive CDs" of the auction catalogs, but you have to request one. I'm not sure how far they go, or what features they offer. I haven't asked for yet, but I intend to. Print outs in color would, of course, depend on your hardware.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible and feasible, but remember that as a whole, the numismatic "industry" is rife with technological troglodytes, and every software product that is developed needs to come with some sort of technical support.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    You can already do that.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Wow. It seems that Heritage already offers this service. I guess I learn something every day. I just hope for tax purposes they don't keep their servers in India.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think LA is on to something with this idea of looking at quantity of live auction viewing vs. prices realized.

Ya know, I have a sneaky suspicion that Heritage already does this. You know those sheets you fill out when you request lots during viewing? I bet each and every one goes into a computer, and secondly that Heritage is paying someone to do regression analysis on them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file