Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1950 D Lincoln cent mintmark position

Hi,
I have a question for Lincoln cent expertsimage

I have been looking throu my weat cent (not key or semi-key date) collection and have noticed different mintmark position on 1950 D cent. My pictures are (again) not perfect but the difference is visible. One have the D mintmark closer to No.5 (in 1950) than other. Have been looking around (coppercoins.com and lincolncentresource.com) and havent find a variety of 1950 D weat cent with different mintmark position.

Is this a variety and if it is - is it known??

Thanks for your answers,

Rok

Comments

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    there were hundreds ...sometimes thousands of working dies used to mint coins.

and up until 1990...ALL of the mint marks were punched into the finished dies BY HAND!

this allows the "die sinker" (the man doing the punching) to put the mint mark pretty much where he wants to.

there are some lincolns with the mint mark in the date AND where it belongs ...one reported to have a mint mark in his nose...a couple with extra mint marks that there has been some attempt to remove one of them then re-punch.

RPM's (re-punched mintmarks) in the lincoln collection is a fierce collection to do ...I have over 1000 different ones myself.image

mike
  • Options
    LOL, image
    well my higher self would now say: "I told u so" image

Thanx for your answer - I have learned something that I didn't know - that mint marks were punched in by hand. That's interesting.

Bye,

Rok

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file