Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A gripe: Krause's encyclopedic blurbs are stupid

Really.

I understand that the book was first published when perhaps not everyone had ready access to a set of encyclopedias. I can see how they may have been helpful to the average reader not acquainted with the fact that "Jersey was occupied by Neanderthal man 100,000 B.C., and Iberians of 2000 B.C. who left their chamber tombs in the island's granite cliffs." (Taken from the 1993 SCWC and unchanged as of 2008.)

But now we're in the age of the internet. Wikipedia. Nuff said.

Now I'm not arguing that these blurbs should be wholly removed. Just retooled. The 20th century books don't need to tell us which primitive tribes settled the area. More helpful would be a quick, short summary of more recent events and then a review of the monetary system and a summary that touches on frequently asked questions (such as "why do the coins of British West Africa feature a six-pointed star?"). Each volume should be tailored to the coins featured in it (ie, don't cut & paste the same blurb from the 20th century book into the 18th century one).

It's always been annoying to flip through Krause, find something odd, instinctively turn to the blurb and find absolutely nothing of numismatic substance. It's a coin book. Give us coin related information. We can reference other sources to find that "potatos are the staple subsistence crop" of Tristan da Cunha.

An example of a helpful section is the one on the Ottoman Empire/Turkey. It lists the rulers and mints, explains the monetary system and what mint visit and monnaie de luxe issues are, etc. More like this please!

I'm just speaking out loud here.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, just having pure history is not going to be helpful. But having history of the coin would be really helpful.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I like the "historical trivia" paragraphs - but then, I have a trivial mind. image

But I agree, it should be (a) historically relevant for the period covered by the catalogue (there's something a bit jarring reading about modern politics in a 1700's coin catalogue), and (b) made relevant to numismatics where possible.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Ha-I agree with you, I got the 20th Century book for my birthday last week. Some of the blurbs seemed to be...how shall I put it...uninspired, while others seem like there was some genuine care and effort put into them. Some were clearly copy and pasted from other volumes, as they mention stuff-and only stuff-that happened in some case 200 or more years prior. I love history, so I don't mind, but it didn't seem too relevant.

Still, I enjoyed reading it and read each and every blurb, which took me about a week. I'd like to get the earlier versions too, at some point. I don't care about values but just a cool reference would be fun to read.

I still can't make hide nor hair out of the Indian Princely States and most Arabic lettered coins though! They are just beyond my grasp right now, I guess.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the blurbs. Anything that educates people, within reason, is OK by me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I agree as well. But they likely won't expend the cost of extra manhours to change much of anything if it won't really improve sales.
    I have Older Catalogs Available if anyone is interested.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    yeah well... we ALL know Wikipedia is correct... Krause should keep the history in there. It's good for kids who pick the book up.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yeah well... we ALL know Wikipedia is correct... >>

Well said, Even Colleges won't allow a Wiki reference.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd settle for them working on fixing the errors and the omissions of entire denominations, let alone types, from some sections. Sheesh. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    well, I find them interesting....
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    I'm with Lord M. Fix the errors first then worry about all the trival things that don't matter. Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options

<< <i>I'd settle for them working on fixing the errors and the omissions of entire denominations, let alone types, from some sections. Sheesh. image >>

Robertson,
    Too right! I reported in that Canadian $1,000,000 gold Maple Leaf (which weighs 100 Kg.) to Krause as soon as it came out in early 2007.Guess what? It still hasn't even been listed!

The same thing goes for the 2 bimetal 400 Shillings medal-coins from Somaliland depicting Yasser Arafat & Yitzak Rabin that came out in 2005.

The quality of mint information in Krause is not as good as it could be.There's no mention that Somaliland's 1994 1/- coin has a PM mintmark.The Jamaican 1982 $1 medal-coin that commemorates the 1982 Football World Cup has a CHI in circle mintmark,but Krause makes no mention of it.

Eric,
    You need to get Numispedia up & running,as we,the numismatic community,can do a better job at compiling a numismatic catalogue.

Aidan.
  • Options
    Wikipedia ain't perfect, but they're sitll pretty good. Considering they have MILLIONS of articles, I think they deserve some slack. If you need niggling details to be exactly correct, you know to go elsewhere.

imageimageimageimageimage