Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Favorite brand of toploaders for -- clarity

If you ever take a large stack of new toploaders and place them over a white sheet of paper -- and notice they're unusually purplish in shade. I'd like to have something a little clearer. Anyone have a fave brand of toploader for this?

Comments

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you ever take a large stack of new toploaders and place them over a white sheet of paper -- and notice they're unusually purplish in shade. I'd like to have something a little clearer. Anyone have a fave brand of toploader for this? >>

I always thought that purple haze was a UV protection of some sort.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you ever take a large stack of new toploaders and place them over a white sheet of paper -- and notice they're unusually purplish in shade. I'd like to have something a little clearer. Anyone have a fave brand of toploader for this? >>

I always thought that purple haze was a UV protection of some sort. >>

so Hendrix was warning us about the harmful rays of the sun. cutting edge.
    I was tired, I typed it, thought to myself "self, that's pretty cheesy..." I was too lazy to correct it though, so you're left with a Hendrix allusion.

In all seriousness, the newer top loaders with the purple "tint" to them...I believe that is to protect the cards...they don't turn yellow like the old loaders either.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    scuze me while i , poke yer eye
    help me, help meimage
    jiimmy was what al gore wants to be for a chunk of iceimage
    iceberg hugger
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, UV protection I highly doubt -- not a lot of high tech goes into toploaders. image

The purple haze is just a remnant of the cheaper plastic used/less effort expended in making them 100% clear.

As for the old holders, they don't yellow too bad at all if kept out of the light/sun!

But as an experiment, it'd be interesting to see if sunlight would yellow the purplish holders, or, maybe leach the purple out of them.

Thanks!
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    I do not believe that newer toploaders, Ultra Pro for example, contain any UV protection. In fact, the toploaders themselves aren't even archival quality. I believe only the penny sleeves are acid-free/archival quality.

EDIT: I just called Ultra Pro and confirmed that their toploaders do not have any UV protection, and also contain PVC, so they are not archival.
    I stand corrected...why am I using these things then?

<< <i>I do not believe that newer toploaders, Ultra Pro for example, contain any UV protection. In fact, the toploaders themselves aren't even archival quality. I believe only the penny sleeves are acid-free/archival quality.

EDIT: I just called Ultra Pro and confirmed that their toploaders do not have any UV protection, and also contain PVC, so they are not archival. >>

But the penny sleeves are archival safe?