Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Holy cow! Best wire money I've ever seen!

I'm no expert on these. I've always kinda equated Russian wire money with those ever-present gold fannams--just neat crude little things. I've seen some nice ones, but never truly UNC and definitely never like this!

RUSSIA DENGA ND (1682-96) IVAN ALEXEEVICH = NGC MS64 =

Interesting path this coin has taken: In February this year it sold below estimate, sans-plastic for $406. In October 2004 it sold below estimate as well, going for $287. Now available dressed in plastic for a mere $2.2K! image

Comments

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe "novodel" means it's a later reproduction, probably from sometime in the 1800's.

Doesn't mean it's not collectable, but it does explain why the diework is better than normal.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe "novodel" means it's a later reproduction, probably from sometime in the 1800's.

Doesn't mean it's not collectable, but it does explain why the diework is better than normal. >>

Ditto. Novodels are obsolete issues that the mint was commissioned to re-strike for collectors. I wonder if there's a good reference for novodels that lists when these were re-struck.
  • Eric,
    You can find Novodels listed in Krause's 'Unusual World Coins',as the dies are genuine,but the coins aren't.

Aidan.
  • Hello All,

The is a large and very comprehensive collection of Russian wire money in the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Some information at:

Hermitage Museum
    -Kristjan
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome kristjan!
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Well I guess it's the nicest novodel denga I've ever seen then! image

Thanks for the info guys, learn something new every day!

And thanks and welcome, kristjan! image
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    why are they called wire money anyway?
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Because the coin blanks were cut to the correct weight from a length of silver 'wire' and then struck with hammer and die. I guess this is similar to the spanish colonial cobs.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Agree, that's a great looking piece. Here are some I have and there is no comparison, LOL...

100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!