Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have a die adjustment strike Morgan?

I was reading a book earlier that was talking about die adjustment strikes on Peace and Morgan dollars. I remember recently seeing a Peace adjustment strike (think it was Broadstruck's) but I dont think I've ever seen one for a Morgan.

Post em if you have one please.
I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Brandon has one for sale on eBay.

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    It seems interesting to note that the angle of the strike is clearly off on the Morgan. The evidence of this is the text is much stronger on one side, missing on the other. This, I would surmise, is caused by die faces that are not exactly parallel to each other.

I've heard that die adjustment strikes were used to get the strike pressure and die spacing right.

Perhaps they were also used to adjust the angle of the dies; it seems like it is off on this coin. If the dies were perfectly parallel, I would be seeing even text all around the rim.

Perhaps the die angle was unimportant and explains why we have coins with weak devices only on one half.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file