Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How early in '99 were Cheerios Sacs minted??

seems like i read somewhere that the "extra detailed tail feathers" variety was minted in sept/oct of 1999

i ran across this on Ebay which started me thinking about that......these were supposedly minted in Nov......i wonder if any of the "detailed feathers" coins got put in these holders

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>seems like i read somewhere that the "extra detailed tail feathers" variety was minted in sept/oct of 1999

i ran across this on Ebay which started me thinking about that......these were supposedly minted in Nov......i wonder if any of the "detailed feathers" coins got put in these holders >>

I spoke with Mint sculptor Tom Rogers about the Cheerios pattern dollars (as opposed to the non-pattern Cheerios dollars), and his best guess based upon the design variant used was that they were struck around the third week of October, 1999.

I did check some of those "first day of striking" covers, and all were of the normal design.

Check out www.smalldollars.com

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that, due to the January 1st roll out of millions and millions, a bunch of SAC's had to have been in the presses by November.

Besides, it has been proven that not all of the detailed feather coins were in those Cheerios Cards.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify,

1: Not all of the coins in the Cheerios holders had the detailed feathers (my best guess is that 10% of them do not), and

2: Not all of the coins with the detailed feathers went into the Cheerios holders. I saw one here in Chicago at a press conference in October of 1999, which was how I knew that a change had been made when the "normal" coins came out in January of 2000. There were others in the room. I have no idea how many of them were made for that and other publicity events, and/or whatever happened to them.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file