Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official Countdown to MLB Spring Training 2009

bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
Ok everyone the 2008 baseball season is over and the majority of America will NOT remember who was in the World Series this year. Just funnin around with you Phils fans.

What players are your teams going to lose and who is on your wish list.

I'm a Dodgers fan I would like to see them resign Manny but I would think he could end up in Toronto or Detroit? If that's the case they need a big bat.

Prediction for next year.....Well the Dodgers will Not be better next year if they don't get Manny or a big bat. It also depends on if their actual starting pitching staff gets healthy...Jason Schmidt? Brad Penny? Will the Dodgers be rushing Clayton Kershaw too fast to be a starter?

Brian

Comments

• Options
    I can't wait!!!

Don't worry guys, I plan on taking a bunch of pictures and putting them in a thread just like last year. I'm still bummed that the Dodgers are gone.image
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Royals better unload Mark Teahan, just too inconsistent. And he's had enough years under his belt now to try to prove he can be a good MLB player.
    A bright spot for the year was David Dejesus. This was the first year he hit over .300 and was one of the leading batters with RISP. And plays great whatever outfield postion they put him in. He's the one player I would be really pissed if the Royals got rid of.
  • Options

<< <i> I can't wait!!!

Don't worry guys, I plan on taking a bunch of pictures and putting them in a thread just like last year. I'm still bummed that the Dodgers are gone. >>

Yes that is too bad the Dodgers have left Vero Beach. Lot's of history there and I imagine some Dodger fans as well.

Goot, what do you think about the Rays next year? They should only be better.
  • Options
    I'm already hearing Manny is being pursued by the yankees - steinbrenner says just about everyone is a target. ESPN is reporting that they are targetting CC Sabathia, Manny, and Mark Tex. If Manny signs with the yanks, would yanks/red sox be shown every single sunday night on ESPN, with the non-stop 'manny returns' headlines?

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    where did the dodgers go to? i missed that?
  • Options

<< <i>where did the dodgers go to? i missed that? >>

They won't be doing spring training in florida anymore...they'll be moving to Arizona in 2009.

ESPN link
  • Options

<< <i>
    Goot, what do you think about the Rays next year? They should only be better. >>

Hopefully they'll continue their success. I think a wildcard or possibly another division title isn't totally out of the question, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we perform how the Jays did this year (overall a solid team, but just stuck in a tough division).

The Rays really need to pick up a RF/DH because Gross is probably gone, Floyd may retire if his injury needs surgery and Gomes can't produce AT ALL. Fernando Perez is a viable option out there, but he honestly wasn't supposed to be up in the bigs this early and still lacks a big bat. No ball should ever hit the ground in the outfield with Crawford, Upton and Perez patrolling out there. I also read on a Raysblog that both Edwin Jackson and Sonnanstine may be used as trade-bait this offseason, considering how deep the pitching is already, and it will only get deeper as the next crop of minor league studs make it to the "big show".

As for the Braves....the majority of last year's disaster returns as well. The biggest problem that needs to be addressed is pitching. Jurrjens was a great surprise but ended up carrying the staff since guys like Jo Jo Reyes and Charlie Morton didn't exactly produce......

Maybe they can land Derek Lowe? Whoever it is, they NEED to land an experienced pitcher.

Other than pitching, there isn't a huge gaping hole anywhere else. Chipper's health scares me A LOT, but Escobar, Johnson, MCCann, and Francoeur (if he can find his bat) should be able to provide a solid lineup. Hopefully Kotchman will do better this year as well.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm already hearing Manny is being pursued by the yankees - steinbrenner says just about everyone is a target. ESPN is reporting that they are targetting CC Sabathia, Manny, and Mark Tex. If Manny signs with the yanks, would yanks/red sox be shown every single sunday night on ESPN, with the non-stop 'manny returns' headlines? >>

Axhole trying to weasel his way back on to the boards again LOL...I knew this was coming since FB season has started up.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Yes, it's tough to get along without real baseball going on.

If one is interested in baseball stats, baseball history, basebal discussion,
    May I suggest a simulation game which really provides just that.

You can manage a self selected team, over a 9 week simulated season,
    Players from the past, current fellows, negro league stars, even 19th century men, are all "normalized" to face each other in fun ballparks of your choice, with a large range of flexible themes. The message boards are quite "stimualting", and the game itself is not overly complex for one to enjoy.

Worth a look- see, for those suffering from possible baseball withdrawl.
    http://www.simnasium.com/bball
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options

<< <i> I'm already hearing Manny is being pursued by the yankees - steinbrenner says just about everyone is a target. ESPN is reporting that they are targetting CC Sabathia, Manny, and Mark Tex. If Manny signs with the yanks, would yanks/red sox be shown every single sunday night on ESPN, with the non-stop 'manny returns' headlines? >>

I don't know how realistic it is, but I knew the Yankees would have to be in the mix. Manny in pinstripes would be cool if he doesn't sign with the Dodgers. That way the Red Sox nation could still see Manny playing all the time. image
  • Options

<< <i> where did the dodgers go to? i missed that? >>

That's what happens Randy when you live out in the Stix. lol
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    it all i have to look forward to now as an orioles fan. perhaps we will do a couple of deals and get some more pieces this year. the O's are always in first place on opening day!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started