Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BVG easy to crack?

I want to buy a BVG card to crack for autograph. Does anyone have experience cracking BVG holder? how easy or hard is that? thanks

Austin
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Snip off a top corner with a pair of pliers or bolt cutter, then slowly pry open with a screwdriver. The mylar sleeve offers a little bit protection to the card as well. You'll need to carefully cut it with a pair scissors or razor of course.
  • Options
    So you say it's fairly easy to crack without damaging the card? Just wanna make sure if this is going to too much trouble or I should consider cracking PSA instead
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    BGS/BVG and PSA are the easiest to crack. GAI and SGC are easy too, but because of the insert, you need to be a little more gentle to avoid knocking the card around. BCCG is the toughest, which is not surprising since the holders are crap. Even worst than GEM.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    what's the logic in cracking a slab for an autograph vs just getting a raw card signed?
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what's the logic in cracking a slab for an autograph vs just getting a raw card signed? >>

I've cracked several to get autographed for my HOF signed rookie collection. To me, the slabbed card provides a somewhat reasonable feeling of comfort that the unsigned trading card is authentic and not altered or counterfeit. It also gives me a general idea of the condition when buying the card sight unseen. When the autograph I'm going to pay for costs up to a few hundred dollars itself, I want to make sure it's getting signed on a authentic card, and not on a reproduction, altered or counterfeit.

Some of the graded cards I've cracked to get signed include 1954 Aaron, 1963 Rose, 1967 Seaver, 1968 Ryan, etc. I know of counterfeits for the Rose, Seaver, and Ryan so it was worth it to me to pay a little more to get one slabbed so I could crack it open to be signed.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>what's the logic in cracking a slab for an autograph vs just getting a raw card signed? >>

I've cracked several to get autographed for my HOF signed rookie collection. To me, the slabbed card provides a somewhat reasonable feeling of comfort that the unsigned trading card is authentic and not altered or counterfeit. It also gives me a general idea of the condition when buying the card sight unseen. When the autograph I'm going to pay for costs up to a few hundred dollars itself, I want to make sure it's getting signed on a authentic card, and not on a reproduction, altered or counterfeit.

Some of the graded cards I've cracked to get signed include 1954 Aaron, 1963 Rose, 1967 Seaver, 1968 Ryan, etc. I know of counterfeits for the Rose, Seaver, and Ryan so it was worth it to me to pay a little more to get one slabbed so I could crack it open to be signed.

Mike >>

Let me start by saying I don't collect autographs, so I probably have a different twist on this. It bothers me that someone would put an autograph on a nice original card. I can understand if it is in low grade condition. What about the idea of a slab that goes over a PSA slab but includes an area for an autograph thus preserving the original card and gets you the autograph that can be displayed with the original slab? That probably makes no sense to an autograph collector. I would rather see an autograph on something that is not a valued collectible.

JMHO

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    The only reason I did was that the card I need is pretty rare (but not too expensive) so the flat is only a few bucks less than the BVG 7. So I thought what the heck. I would actually prefer a flat for this case, so I can save myself the trouble of cracking it.

This is just another problem of ebay. The sellers for some of these BIN list them at ridiculous price, if their prices are more reasonable (a EX-NRMT costs $20 but a BVG costs $22). This is like wasting a slot and time for my eyeballs.

Austin
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Let me start by saying I don't collect autographs, so I probably have a different twist on this. It bothers me that someone would put an autograph on a nice original card. I can understand if it is in low grade condition. What about the idea of a slab that goes over a PSA slab but includes an area for an autograph thus preserving the original card and gets you the autograph that can be displayed with the original slab? That probably makes no sense to an autograph collector. I would rather see an autograph on something that is not a valued collectible.

JMHO >>

To an autograph collector, a signed, "nice original card" is a valued collectible.