Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Premiums on US eagles are ridiculous.

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
How's things on the selling side? Are dealers paying extra when they buy them back? I just can't see spending $920 on a common date unc gold eagle when spot is the the low $700s.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    I could be very wrong but I'm thinking that speculators/dealers that purchased at the $850 or $900 level will be less that eager to sell at Spot plus a couple of percentage points.

I think that this is where the "collectibility" card gets played.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Premiums may be ridiculous but I just sold 14 gold coins last weekend at a show. Both the public and Dealers were eager to pay huge premiums. $1000 even for circulated raw common date double eagles, graded with larger premiums. I could've sold bunches more if I had them. There seems to be a real disconnect between bullion futures price and 'here and now' physical bullion prices.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There seems to be a real disconnect between bullion futures price and 'here and now' physical bullion prices. >>

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    Check the Precious Metals board... there has been a retail shortage for some time and the premiums have slowly been declining. I'm pretty sure that these prices will stay where they are for a while and that as metals increases in price the premiums will shrink.
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There seems to be a real disconnect between bullion futures price and 'here and now' physical bullion prices. >>

image >>

Maybe because all IOU's, not just metals are selling at a discount.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    All this shows is the market's vote of "no confidence" for paper assets of just about any kind these days.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Just wait until the Mint procures new stock for the 2009 SAEs and GAEs; the prices will start falling once they start producing. There is no shortage of gold or silver near melt pricing, it's just not available in small denominations.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I was not able to find any american eagles so it did not really matter......
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    That's nothing, try buying a silver eagle for that percent over spot! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are now two markets for precious metals: the spot price and the REAL price.

Silver Premium Data

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dropped by my local coin dealer to see what the deal was but he had NO gold to sell, at all. He usually has about ten ozs laying around in his front display case.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561

<< <i>Just wait until the Mint procures new stock for the 2009 SAEs and GAEs; the prices will start falling once they start producing. There is no shortage of gold or silver near melt pricing, it's just not available in small denominations. >>

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    The spot price is a "Paper " price and that paper is Charmin-- And we know what could be done with that paperimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file