Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Upton vs Maybin vs McCutchen

Now that the season is officially over, I'm starting to make my bets for next year's breakout stars. I'm looking at the rookies from the 2004 Bowman Chrome AFLAC Auto set: Justin Upton, Cameron Maybin, and Andrew McCutchen. All are still young and have power/speed. Which player do you think will have the best season next year?

Justin Upton - Had a hot start this year and just fizzled out. His K % is still too high. He may have been rushed to the majors and I think he may actually be sent down to the minors if slumps again to start the season.

Cameron Maybin - Looked really good after he was called up. Has shown decent power and speed in the minors. He will probably steal 30 bases before he hits 30 HRs. The Marlins have a great track record developing talent.

Andrew McCutchen - The most seasoned of the prospects with almost 1800 minor league ABs. He could probably steal 30 bases in the majors right now. I've read that the Pirates feel he needs one more season, but the team blows and will need something to get the fan excited.

Of the three, I think Maybin has the best chance. It seems like these guys have been around forever since their first card was issued in 2004, but they are still under 22.

Mike

Comments

• artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I'd put my money on Maybin of the 3 mentioned.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Ide put my money on Upton being the best MLB player long term, but there is alot more room for upside on the Maybin card right now, than the Upton card.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen too many of their 2004 Bowman Chrome AFLAC Autos on the ebay lately. I've heard only 90 were released, but I see serial numbers greater than 90 out there.
    Mike
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    There aren't a lot search under 2005 too as that was the year they were actually released.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the only recent sale is $600 for a BGS 9.5 Maybin Auto.

That is a pretty good price, $100 less than book for a raw.
    Mike
  • As a fanatic Tigers fan that was a bit bummed that we had to trade Maybin, I would say that we may have done right in the trade...even with picking up the stalled D Train. Look at Maybin's #s this year at AA. His power #s were way down. Worst of all struck out 124 times in 390 ABs. That's pretty crummy.