Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I got a free Coin World in the mail this week

RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was a little bit surprised and was very happy to receive it. I am not sure why it came to me: maybe they are trying to hook people who recently allowed their subscription to lapse. Perhaps, there was a congressional numismatic bailout or stimulus program which was not reported here. At any rate, I read it and learned a couple things:

1. There is a recently discovered 1795 reeded edge cent that was graded by PCGS in good condition and will be auctioned by B&M. It is a legitimately rare coin that will fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars. I was surprised that I did not read about it here. Did I miss the thread on it?

2. I did not enjoy reading it enough to want to resubscribe. image

Comments

• Options
    You probably got mine since I haven't received one in about 3 weeks..image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if that was the one that had gone missing at my house. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You probably got mine since I haven't received one in about 3 weeks..image >>

Same here. I'll expect to get all 3 in a series of 3 days in a row.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if that was the one that had gone missing at my house. image >>

Oh no, I ran out of toilet paper when visiting you!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool free kindling for the fireplace this winter! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Glad you got 1 free..... I get so few that I have paid for.... image

I'm letting it drop when my subs. runs out.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I got one too. I never have subscribed to them so I dont think that is why.
  • Options
    Magazines sometimes send out free issues to meet the circulation number they promised to advertisers. If the magazine falls short, often times the contracts call for a rebate or free ads. Rather than do that, some magazines will sometimes send out free issues to boost their number.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    This is "10,000 Bonus Distribution Week". 3-4 times a year, CW sends issues to 10,000 non-subscribers.

WH
  • Options

<< <i>This is "10,000 Bonus Distribution Week". 3-4 times a year, CW sends issues to 10,000 non-subscribers.

WH >>

Here I thought it was an act of Congress! image

Thanks for the info, guys.

Magazines sometimes send out free issues to meet the circulation number they promised to advertisers. If the magazine falls short, often times the contracts call for a rebate or free ads. Rather than do that, some magazines will sometimes send out free issues to boost their number.

I guess that's why I keep getting Money magazine in the mail. At one time, I had two concurrent free Money subscriptions. After a few months, I changed the address of one to a buddy of mine.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    That is why I never re-upped my subscription, I would only get the about 60% of the time. I get the Please subscribe!! letters all the time.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK...check the date on it....are you sure it wasn't one from when you previously subscribed that just made it to you?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>RYK...check the date on it....are you sure it wasn't one from when you previously subscribed that just made it to you?
    image >>

No wonder there were all those ads for speared bisons! image
  • Options
    RYK --- I am surprised the forum ethics posse hasn't reared it's fiesty head...after all, if you did not order it, then it is your moral and ethical responsibility to return it to the sender... is it not?

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is "10,000 Bonus Distribution Week". 3-4 times a year, CW sends issues to 10,000 non-subscribers. >>

Instead of sending them to their subscribers, apparently.
  • Options

<< <i>RYK --- I am surprised the forum ethics posse hasn't reared it's fiesty head...after all, if you did not order it, then it is your moral and ethical responsibility to return it to the sender... is it not? >>

It's a good thing the posse likes CW even less than it likes me. image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I was a little bit surprised and was very happy to receive it. I am not sure why it came to me: maybe they are trying to hook people who recently allowed their subscription to lapse. Perhaps, there was a congressional numismatic bailout or stimulus program which was not reported here. At any rate, I read it and learned a couple things:

1. There is a recently discovered 1795 reeded edge cent that was graded by PCGS in good condition and will be auctioned by B&M. It is a legitimately rare coin that will fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars. I was surprised that I did not read about it here. Did I miss the thread on it? >>

Did it say anything about the person who owned the coin? Where he/she was from?
    I seem to recall a similar coin and with your added information, RYK, it will let me know if I'm right or not.

Regarding CW, I let my subscription run out years ago, this forum is enough information for me and I don't have a 4' high stack of left-overs after a year.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>

<< <i>You probably got mine since I haven't received one in about 3 weeks..image >>

Same here. I'll expect to get all 3 in a series of 3 days in a row. >>

I just got the second one in three days. Nothing for a few weeks, then 2 in 3 days. Sweet. It's like Christmas. I could order all manner of rarities from the likes of Paul Sims and Skyline and Coast-to-Coast and Coin Depot... PQ rarities nonetheless.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file