Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Problem with eChecks....anyone?

Was wondering if anyone else is having problems with eChecks?
Buyer pays with eCheck on 10/24 and clearing date was estimated on 10/29.
I did get the email from Paypal saying that it has cleared on 10/29 (yesterday).
Problem is, the status on my activity page says it's "unclaimed". I've never had
a problem before with eChecks. I called, and the rep says it is a problem with Paypal
that they're trying to fix asap to release the funds. She said thousands of other users
are experiencing the same problem. She advised that I still DO NOT
ship out the package. Granted, this is not the buyer's fault and I did email him to explain
the situation. I'm thinking of still shipping his package out today. It is a $27 transaction.
What do you guys think?
Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    YES, unfortunately. I had the exact thing happen to me this week. I called PP Customer Service and was told that it's a glitch with their system that they're trying to fix. I e-mailed my buyer too. Oddly it's for a transaction of about the same amount.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Slant, did your funds get released? If so, how long afterwards?
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Still waiting. I asked specifically "how long will this take to get fixed?" to the rep and then asked the same of her manager. They told me my "situation" would be passed to their accounts department and would be fixed as quickly as possible. Of course they wouldn't give me a timeframe.

Ridiculous.
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I hate echecks....

I don't have much to base my opinion on... just don't like the wait.
    It's especially frustrating to have to wait the 4-6 days for an echeck to clear on a $.99 auction!
    Ggrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

alright, I'm done... back to my cage.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    Good day,
    Have one as well, for $12.99 item, went ahead and shipped for good customer service, if something happens and I don't get the $13 bucks, world will not end.
    I would advise to go ahead and ship the item.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

AuctionBytes' PayPal, eBay Glitch Report

By: Ina Steiner

Wed Oct 29 2008 16:09:26

An eBay seller wrote to say he's gotten two buyers complaining that they were unable to pay for items using their credit cards. "The common denominator is they don't have Paypal accounts," the seller wrote, and wanted to know if there were other sellers hearing the same problem from buyers. (Not that I'm aware.)

PayPal experienced a problem on October 24th affecting holders of its debit card. For a short window of time on Friday, according to PayPal spokesperson Michael Oldenburg, PayPal debit card transactions showed that they went through for twice the purchase amount. It takes no more than 4 calendar days for transactions to be captured, at which time it's only posted once, he said, so all problems should be resolved by today.

One of the PayPal debit-card users who contacted me said she got different answers from the store from which she made her purchase and PayPal, and, she said, "every time I call PayPal I get a different answer. Thank God there was money there to cover their over $200.00 mistake." (Debit cards affect your bank account balance, unlike credit cards.) I followed up with her this afternoon, and she said that PayPal wouldn't acknowledge that there was a problem until Monday 10/27, and she said the money has not yet been returned to her account.

The "double-dipping" problem sounds a lot like the one that occurred a month earlier, on September 26th.

Users are also reporting problems with PayPal eChecks. Apparently PayPal sent a notice to recipients of its eChecks to log in to paypal and claim their funds, initially causing people to wonder if it was a scam. PayPal's Oldenburg said it is a known issue and would have more information about it tomorrow. Complained one seller, "Holding money even a day with a small percentage of sellers can result in thousands of dollars of interest they make off their glitch."

Michael Oldenburg also responded to my inquiry about an article in the Industry Standard:

"It appears that there is a recurring billing issue in the integration between Skype and PayPal and we are actively working to fix it. PayPal protects all of our customers against unauthorized charges to their accounts so they are not responsible for any fraudulent charges. If PayPal customers feel that they have received unauthorized Skype charges to their PayPal accounts, they can initiate an unauthorized transaction claim from within PayPal.com by visiting our Security Center and clicking on the "Start an unauthorized transaction claim" link."

And just as I was about to post this report, someone wrote me about a problem eBay buyers are having redeeming a 10-percent off coupon (up to $100) There are several threads about it on the Checkout discussion board, including this one and this one. PayPal responded with an explanation in a post of its own.

Links included in the story, to see the links:

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2008/10/1225310966.html

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I hate Paypal...their customer service reps are always so vague in their responses.
    I too got one of those emails that said that I had to manually claim the unclaimed funds.
    By doing so, I would have to upgrade to a business account. I did that and nothing happened.
    So I talk to the rep and she went ahead and downgraded back to Premier and said technicians
    are working on the glitch right now and the funds are definitely there. She said hopefully the matter
    will be resolved within 24-48 hrs, and funds should be credited to my account for the unclaimed amount.
    Of course she didn't/wouldn't advise me to whether or not ship the item. It was entirely up to my discretion,
    which I will do today since the buyer has almost 9000 positives. I hate eChecks!

I take it there is no way to block eChecks? Since it's paypal relation, I have to accept all forms of paypal
    payments....eChecks, credit cards, and instant from balance. I have seen some sellers stating no eChecks
    in their description, but I don't think that will fly. Might lead to a possible neg as well.