Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know the "true" story of the Fugio New Haven Restrikes?

I was looking thru a thread by forum member Stefanie (coinsarefun) this morning and in the 4th post of that thread she brought up a link to a website that offered information on Fugios in general. I had never heard before what was offered on this site regarding the Restrikes...

Link to thread

Presently I own one of these pieces in a PCGS holder and am in the process of selling it to a fellow board member through the BST. I do not wish to misrepresent this piece and am confused by the information offered on the site that Stephanie linked.

If, indeed, these pieces are not made from reworked original dies and are actually made from dies made at the Waterbury Mint... and, hence, are really just fantasy pieces... why would they be holdered by the major TPG's?

Does anyone know the real story here? Is there even any way for anyone to be certain of the origin of these
pieces we commonly refer to as "Fugio New Haven Restrikes"?...

edit for spelling, as is par for the course for me...image
Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Newman believes that new dies were manufactured circa 1859 by the Scoville Manufacturing firm, well-known makers of buttons, tokens, and medals.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I thought I heard that they were not restrikes, technically, and they were not from New Haven, CT (which, by the way, is the location of the ghetto that Longacre grew up in). I think CCU provided a good answer in another thread about a year and a half ago.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! So these arent restrikes at all?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    It wouldnt' be a MS63 in an OGH would it? I sold mine at the FUN show a couple years back and I miss it image
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I heard that they were not restrikes, technically, and they were not from New Haven, CT (which, by the way, is the location of the ghetto that Longacre grew up in). I think CCU provided a good answer in another thread about a year and a half ago. >>

I believe I just found that thread...I somehow missed it the first time round...

Link to Previous thread on this topic

I guess that sort of answers my question...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are these different than any other counterfeit coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file