Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

REAL auction VS Buy It Now

Hey guys,

I am curious to see how do you feel about this - To me I was really drawn to ebay when it first came out. I thought it was great 'cause the auction nature really helped a collector to get a sense the worth of a card defined by its supply and demand. And of course REAL auctions also allow some of us to pick off some really good deals once in while.

Now when I go to ebay I see way more listings that are "Buy It Now" with ridiculous prices than pure auctions. It almost feels like one of the QVC infomercials that try to sell me stuff way overpriced. And it makes it so hard for me to find out the "market" value of certain cards because the lack of actual auctions.

Ebay is trying to become more like Amazon. They are changing their pricing scheme to encourage more BIN than auctions, to me it is losing its original and unique appeal. Well I guess at least MS is still doing the cashback image other than that I hope to see more real auctions.

That's just my opinion, maybe it's just me. Feel free to add your 2-cent.

Austin

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    My informed guess is that within about a year, the "original EBAY"
    will be a distant memory.

As a seller, I much prefer the BIN concept. But, I fully understand
    that MANY buyers/sellers like auctions better.

AMZN has the business-model that works. EBAY really has no choice
    but to attempt to replicate it.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess a lot of this depends on the type of things you collect...I can tell you that nearly 90% of the eBay auctions I involve myself with as a bidder (or watcher) are "traditional" vs BIN
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Now when I go to ebay I see way more listings that are "Buy It Now" with ridiculous prices than pure auctions. It almost feels like one of the QVC infomercials that try to sell me stuff way overpriced. And it makes it so hard for me to find out the "market" value of certain cards because the lack of actual auctions. >>

Well that depends... maybe there's a lack of cards for the ridiculous prices we're seeing. For me personaly, I've been waiting for certain cards to come up for almost years now. Meanwhile, there's a couple sitting with BINs for almost the same amount of time. And I just recently realized, it's just a matter of time before I pay the ridiculous price.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Now when I go to ebay I see way more listings that are "Buy It Now" with ridiculous prices than pure auctions. It almost feels like one of the QVC infomercials that try to sell me stuff way overpriced. And it makes it so hard for me to find out the "market" value of certain cards because the lack of actual auctions. >>

Well that depends... maybe there's a lack of cards for the ridiculous prices we're seeing. For me personaly, I've been waiting for certain cards to come up for almost years now. Meanwhile, there's a couple sitting with BINs for almost the same amount of time. And I just recently realized, it's just a matter of time before I pay the ridiculous price. >>

Not always true with all Sellers. My stuff in my store basically (With a few exceptions of course) comes down over time, not the same price for a year. I start a little high and over 3-5 months lower my prices or offer sales with ever increasing amounts off. I sold a card last night for $1750.00. It started out 4 months ago at $3500.00 and has been reduced several times since then, it was down to $2300.00, guy makes me an off E-Bay, no PayPal, Cashiers Check offer $1750.00, Sold! There becomes the point in business that since this particular card is all profit anyway, just move it!

I agree I don't get the guys who start at some rediculous price 3-5 times what something is worth and I have seen the same card 2-3 years later still sitting at the same price. Just don't understand their business model!!!
    If the card doesn't move at a particular price in a given amount of time, Time to Reduce that Price!!! Period!!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you are seeing more BINs now because of the MS discount and cash back when BINs are used.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>I think you are seeing more BINs now because of the MS discount and cash back when BINs are used. >>

plus .... there has been a huge influx of 35 cent/30-day BINs.

PoppaJ