Home Sports Talk

Bettors upset after books declare Phillies winners of Game 5

stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bettors upset after books declare Phillies winners of Game 5
Oct. 29, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

LAS VEGAS -- Some sports books in Nevada have declared the Philadelphia Phillies the winner of Game 5 of the World Series even though the game was suspended with the score 2-2 in the middle of the sixth inning.

A top gambling regulator says a handful of Tampa Bay Rays bettors have complained. Nevada Gaming Commission enforcement chief Jerry Markling told the Associated Press on Wednesday that different sports books have different rules about baseball betting.

Some have rules stating that rain-delayed games are over after a certain period of time. The books use the score from the last completed inning to determine a winner.

That would make the Phillies the winner. They led 2-1 after five innings.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< a handful >>>

A handful? Now that's an understatement for sure...the rest of them likely don't realize they already lost the bet. If Tampa Bay wins this game, the complaints will be more than a handful.
    Wonder how many Phillies game bettors will tear up their bet receipt if Tampa Bay wins the game, thinking they lost the bet when they actually won the bet.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    No way the Phillies lose tonight Steve. It's a mortal lock!!
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    mortal lock-i like the sound of that-it sounds painfulimage
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>mortal lock-i like the sound of that-it sounds painfulimage >>

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    it was a mortal lock too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

<< <i>No way the Phillies lose tonight Steve. It's a mortal lock!! >>

Seems like lately the "famous" Sports Talk forum jinx, seems to be having the opposite effect, not that I'm superstitious or anything like that. LOL

The "Hello" threads worked like a charm and even Lee (cdsnuts) who is an excellent poker player but perhaps the worst sports handicapper of all time (LOL)...a few weeks ago picked cold a 14 point dog to win, which isn't easy to do.

So when you stated "mortal lock"...it happened.

Of course this Sports Talk forum winning "trend" could easily begin reversing itself next week. LOL
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I have always been cautious of calling my shot on game day before the deed was done. The Phillies post season had a different feel to it, like I could just run
    my mouth all I wanted and the Phils would make sure and win no matter what. We jelled at the right time. There isn't a team in baseball that could beat us
    right now.

Oh and that will be carrying over to the 09 season!

JS

<< <i>I have always been cautious of calling my shot on game day before the deed was done. The Phillies post season had a different feel to it, like I could just run
    my mouth all I wanted and the Phils would make sure and win no matter what. We jelled at the right time. There isn't a team in baseball that could beat us
    right now.

Oh and that will be carrying over to the 09 season!

JS >>

i think the Rays have a decent team, but frankly I see most likely a .500 season for them next year. But the scary thing about the Phillies is they didn't play their best baseball in this Series, and still won nicely - Phillies look good, very good, for the foreseeable future, but of course you never know because of injuries and other factors. I*n any event, I'm already looking forward to the 2009 season and I just hope we don't have to wait another 28 years for the next championship.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    granted.....phillies pitching was very good...all 5 games should of been philly blowouts.

<< <i>granted.....phillies pitching was very good...all 5 games should of been philly blowouts. >>

With all the runners we left in scoring position, and despite that winning the Series 4 - 1, I think says how good this Phillies team can be in next season's playoffs when our bats get hot - could get scary