Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone else think the new NGC holder sucks moose genitalia?

May not be such a big deal on large coins, but on small pieces, the new NGC holder absolutely DESTROYS the presentation of the coin, since the "calipers" overlap the face of the coin, unlike the old wells.

This image was snagged from globalcoins' post in the BST (apologies, this isn't meant to disparage the coin, but rather the new holders).

How the [CENSORED] are you supposed to photograph coins and give them decent presentation without cropping out a rather large portion of the coins face? Can you imagine fractional farthings or Maundys in this atrocity???

It would be one thing if NGC was going to offer both styles of holder and allow the submittor to choose, but no, this new abomination is going to be mandatory.

ABSOFRICKINLUTELY HORRENDOUS!!!

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Viva le Crown.... image

Does NGC know that clear resins are available??? image
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It almost looks as if you could play "Hungry Hungry Hippos" on that coin.image

Why did they decide to change to that type of holder? Innovative? I guess they did not have the owner of the coin in mind or for that matter the coin itself.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... the picture is worth more than the commentary in terms of illustrating the problem. The problem extends beyond the issue of just taking a picture of the coin. In this instance, one can not see all the dots. So now we have coins in plastic and all the dots are not connected or visible... whats wrong with this picture??

Part of this was written for intertainment value... Seriously, Coinpictures your point is well illustrated and perhaps the slabbed pronged approach for smaller coins just does not work

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they can just slab coins in opaque plastic and we won't have to worry about eye-appeal any more.
  • Options
    HEY I WANT MY CUT FOR USING MY PICTURE imageimage

I like being able to see the edge what I don't like is you cant flip through them easily in the 2 1/2 boxes

That and not being able to see the whole face kinda sucks

They aren't doing this on Crowns.
    show me the money image

My eBay
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Maybe we should all just buy the label and forget the coin contained inside. I placed an unreasonable bid on one of our forum members eBay auctions because of that lousy looking tomb, If I should win, It will create a very loud crack (and pleasing) sound in my vice and then be submitted to PCGS in order to be placed in a decent looking piece of plastic that really shows the coins features.

Just my two cents (or three marks) opinion on a horrible holder by NGC. Not a reflection on the coin, because from what I can see it looks good and should live up to the grade assigned to it, unless of course the slab is hiding a rim ding or an old mounting. Who knows what is under those tabs, this looks like a way to create a "grade for sale" like you know who does so well...

That holder is a POS IMHO...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Wow - you're not pulling our legs?

What a horrible call on NGCs part. Someone very high up their food chain must
    have dremt that beauty up and no one had the nads to call them on it.
    I can't think of any other way something so poorly thought out would make it to
    production. Submissions are probably down and they felt the need to offer a
    killer improvement to turn revenues around...

Oh well good news for ANACS!
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow - you're not pulling our legs? >>

Nope. It's here.

I'm sure that what drove this decision was the myriad of U.S. ModernCrap(tm) $1 coins with all the edge errors and not being able to slab the errors in a meaningful way. I get that. I understand it. What I don't get is why this new holder will be mandatory. If they want, they could even make this the default holder, but allow submitters to choose the insert of their choice... even if it cost $5 more per coin for the old insert.

This insert simply does not work for certain coins. Period.

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that eBay was in charge of the management decisions at NGC...
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Let's hope they dispense with this insult toute-de-suite. I don't want my NGC graded coins to lose value!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I agree, it must have been modern US crap with edge lettering errors drove this decision. NGC must have hired the ANACS slab designer.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that eBay was in charge of the management decisions at NGC... >>

image Good one, CP!!!

Is the old holder still available, or are we stuck with just the new abor ... um ... slab?

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not get rid of the prongs and use a square insert?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not get rid of the prongs and use a square insert? >>

Actually, that's the smartest suggestion I've seen yet. Great idea! You can see a good portion of the edges, yet not be forced to occlude any of the coin's surface.
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Actually the new holder was in response to the various counterfeits circulating in the market and to distinguish itself from them. The white holder is supposed to help keeping the coin stable as was determined after a series of tests. The transparent holder won't do the trick. I had asked the white holder question to NGC and this is what I got from them.

Hate the new holder and I guess photography would be a nightmare now with these.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's quite that horrible... but I don't think this was a very well considered move, either.

On the matter of counterfeits, all they're doing is getting maybe a few weeks respite. Cigarette manufacturers in Asia learned this a long time ago--they frequently change their packaging and the counterfeiters will usually have the new fakes on the market within a week. Somehow I imagine NGC won't want to change their holder's design every few months...
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    It's a great move forward for Conder tokens! image

Of course I'd love to see how it would look with a scalloped edge farthing token.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

<< <i>Actually the new holder was in response to the various counterfeits circulating in the market and to distinguish itself from them. The white holder is supposed to help keeping the coin stable as was determined after a series of tests. The transparent holder won't do the trick. I had asked the white holder question to NGC and this is what I got from them.

Hate the new holder and I guess photography would be a nightmare now with these. >>

image If that's what they said, I call utter bullpoop. The shock and vibration tests, and the coins resistance to movement would hinge primarily on the rubber (insert) material's durometer value, and matching the diameter of the insert to the diameter of the coin, not it's colour. image

While a square insert would enable edge viewing, it would also leave the coin prone to off-plane tilting, but at least you wouldn't have these FOUR BIG KNOBS occluding the obv/rev. rim area features.

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>..... but at least you wouldn't have these FOUR BIG KNOBS occluding the obv/rev. rim area features. >>

Now now. No need to call the NGC executives nasty names..... image

I don't care for the new holder either.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    For what it is worth I do not like that holder at all. Maybe it has some purpose but I can not
    see it as an improvement. JMO of course
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow - you're not pulling our legs? >>

Nope. It's here.

I'm sure that what drove this decision was the myriad of U.S. ModernCrap(tm) $1 coins with all the edge errors and not being able to slab the errors in a meaningful way. I get that. I understand it. What I don't get is why this new holder will be mandatory. If they want, they could even make this the default holder, but allow submitters to choose the insert of their choice... even if it cost $5 more per coin for the old insert.

This insert simply does not work for certain coins. Period.

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that eBay was in charge of the management decisions at NGC... >>

nope. what drove this move was to appease overseas collectors and dealers (i was told this personally). One of the most common laments that many of our overseas friends have against the US TPGs, is the inability to see the coin's edges. I've heard this sentiment many times, and a lot of folks are warming up to our Sheldon scale, but are unsure if the rims are damaged under the insert and thus will not buy these coins. Many see the coin's edge as a 'third side', while we in the US don't consider it anywhere near as much in the grading realm (aside from nasty rim dings, etc.).

NGC is highly courting the world coin market, and have a near monopoly on the rare world coin market; only 5 PCGS world coins in the last five years have sold for over 100k. NGC commonly has many more than that in one auction (Millennia for example). Also, the only 7 figure world coin to sell at auction, is in NGC plastic. Allowing for a holder where the edge can be seen, is nothing more than appeasing the new and relatively untapped world coin market, both common coins and more rarities alike. Slabbing in the US has reached it's zenith for US coins, and if the two tops players are to keep up their profits and submissions, they have to now go overseas to convince the rest of world that grading and slabbing has it's rightful place in coin collecting. this new slab is a move to do so........that, and to introduce the new holograms which represent anti-counterfeiting measures. PCGS should do the same soon; there is a local swap meet here in Phoenix that has a seller with tons of fake PCGS slabs,with fakes Chinese pandas (gold and silver), Kooks, Brits, ASE/AGE, etc. The slabs are really well made, and the coins are minted quite well.

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Good idea, but I agree with a previous statement, the "prongs" should have been see-through or why not have three prongs which are see-through but just touching the edge at three small points?

Incidental has anyone seen the CGS UK slabs? I actually quite like the look of them, although I haven't seen one in hand:

LINK

• Options

<< <i>Good idea, but I agree with a previous statement, the "prongs" should have been see-through or why not have three prongs which are see-through but just touching the edge at three small points?

Incidental has anyone seen the CGS UK slabs? I actually quite like the look of them, although I haven't seen one in hand:

LINK >>

I have one which houses an 1859 penny. I'll try to take some pics later tonight or tomorrow. CGS has the top viewing slab, IMO. I like the hollow-back design style.