Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When you upgrade your registry set, do you offer the coins, unsolicited, to folks below you in the r

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't upgrade often, and I don't have "killer" coins, but I do have nice ones.
Andy asked how often people get offered coins via the registry and it got me to thinking, since, thanks to Dan50, I was able to upgrade my son's birthyear mint set.......when you do upgrade, what do you do with the previous coin? Do you keep it? Do you sell at a show? Do you put on the BST? Or, do you look in the registry for someone needing it and then offer it to them?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the above.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I have a few members here I offer first chance to then off to the BST board. It's worked out o.k. so far.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    If I upgrade my Lincoln collection, the undergrade goes to Ebay. Only once have I offered a duplicate to a fellow Registry set owner. It was a 1971 DDO and the recipient was pleased that I contacted him. Oh, and I did donate a coin once to a fellow collector after he introduced me to this practice by donating a coin to my collection.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I have done that in the past; made a few sales that way. It's good for everyone.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Although I generally do not send unsolicited emails to anyone, in this case I do. My reasoning is that if someone didn't want to get emails on their sets, they would not list their email address.

Edited to add: And yes, I also offer coins to other non-Registry collectors, BST board, and shows. Ebay is a last resort. And Teletrade has lost my business.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭
    Definitely. In fact, I have some coins for sale on the BST board that I just posted today.

Thanks for looking.

Casabrown
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Sometimes. Especially if I know them and/or they have asked me to do so if just such a situation arose.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    No, unless someone else in that list had shown prior interest in a particular coin. Many folks consider that spamming and I respect that so I just don't do it.

Luckily there is only one person below me and he already has nice coins. image