Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another Canadian question. Unc half-penny?

Okay guys. I appreciate anyone who can help me grade this. Everything I have is for sale, but I am having a problem coming up with a fair price. Which prices should I be using ebay, auction, krause, etc... I want to be reasonable with the asking price. Please advise.

Here are some pics of an 1844 1/2 penny token. It has unc. details, but it has some shiney stuff on the house door and on the ribbon. How much will that knock off. Look at the pics...

Comments

• Options
    Very nice but that scratch or whtever it is catches my eye too much.

I have no idea of value, just I know I like the token and offered my observation.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    For some reason this doesn't look right to me. The surfaces seem very porous and ther looks to be wear.

Could just be the pic
    show me the money image

My eBay
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I agree that it t looks somewhat porous, but I do not know what the series looks like unc. The scratch I noticed.... -Dan
  • Options
    here's a ms60 iccs coin from heritage's archives

show me the money image

My eBay
  • Options
    Yep. That is what I would think it should look like. What is going on with this coin? It does not look cleaned. It looks as if it could have been corroded, but the details are too sharp for that. Could it be a contemporary counterfeit? -Dan
  • Options
    Even in top unc this coin is only worth about $200-300

Not a counterfeit its just not worth it. I'm thinking light environmental damage that was cleaned off
    show me the money image

My eBay
  • Options
    Dan,
    I have got one of these in my own collection.That is quite a nice one that you've got there.Even contemporary counterfeits are classed as a legitimate coin,as they circulated for a while as part of Montreal's currency.

Aidan.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Definately not UNC - too many flat spots, the fields are rough, and it looks like it is in oil to add shine.

It has EF details, IMO, probably has/had enviromental damage (I can see some greenies at the roof line, PVC?) and been cleaned and retoned then soaked in oil to preserve the surfaces. The excess oil should be removed.

BTW - the variety is Charlton PC1B3, short nose beaver and heavy trees, value $12 to $35 CAD.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    So this coin has been retoned? It definitely does not look right, but it doesn't look like damage in hand. As usual, I have purchased a problem coin. I will always learn the hard way. image
  • Options
    I agree the details appear to me to be circulated, though I would say AU vice XF, perhaps as low as XF45. However, other issues already noted would lead me to conclude XF pricing would be fair, and would likely be offered by someone very quickly. This is all just my opinion, of course.