Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looking for a new project.........

Do you guys get bored, and need or look for a change of direction in your collection or is it just me? Thinking about starting a '53 topps set.........any advice or words of wisdom are welcomed.

Thanks ,JB

Comments

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    save your $$$ is all i can say.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    '53 Topps is a lot of fun. I got about 3/4 of the way through it and realized, however, the cards in needed - in the grades I wanted - were just out of my league. It just depends how much you have to spend and what grade set you want to build.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I see 1956 Topps as my next set building endeavor...mid grade/condition...but I'll only buy the star cards slabbed (probably just to crack them out). I just love the backgrounds on those cards. I know there is a lot of recycled photography, but I don't own many '55s, so I won't know any better.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    double post...
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    the 53 is a good set.. i have tried that sucker about 4 times over the last 12 years.. i always get about 50 cards in, then decide to sell for some reason or another.

so, i figured maybe i can only complete a 50 card set!!. that is why my 2 projects (in signature) are 50 and 48 cards
  • Options
    I feel the same way, so I started building a set of 51 Parkies.

I never changed direction, I just added another direction. image

Which reminds me... I saw a great show last night on Fractal Geometry.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    53 is a great set to do in true EX to EX/MNT grade. Look for nice centered, true to the grade cards.

Avoid cards that are net graded.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I think the '53 is a great choice. It, along with '54 Topps, is one of my favorite sets of the '50s. I'd love to have a nicely centered midgrade set. I currently have 2 so I'm well on my way. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi JB,

My son has a raw 53 Topps Set that he just finished about a month ago. He started on it in 2002.

It's a great looking set that's loaded with SPs and HOFers, but only has a handful of rookies ( I think Johnny Podres is the main rc).

A nice PSA 7 completed set would probably run you into the $25,000 range, a PSA 6 probably for around $14000 (roughly $50 per card).

I'm very partial to the Mickey Mantle card ... I love its eye appeal ( its got that red, white, and blue Americana look).

Good luck with whichever set you choose .... Now's a perfect time to start!

Here's an interesting article about the 53 Topps Set that I thought you might like to read image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I believe Jim Gilliam's rookie is in the '53 set as well.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    53 Topps is my favorite set of all-time. I'll put it together some day, but I don't have the budget for it right now.
    Steven Bloedow
    Collect Auctions
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Great article POP, thanks. I would have to build a vg/vg-ex set, graded only cards. My dilemma now is that i have several graded stars of the '54 set, however they are not the 3 most expensive cards, and no Mantle to boot. '53 is looking better, 20 hofer's included is nice also.........also i have zero '53 in my collection as of right now so it would be a fresh start for me.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    53 Topps is an excellent choice, The Mays card is sweet.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    First and foremost, I'd like to say Roll Tide Roll! AN equally challanging and less expensive endeavour would be 1965 OPC set
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    52 bowman