Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1957 Topps Football Set

With the gross inconsistant grading that goes on in the TPG arena I decided
to start on the 1957 set RAW, as it should be. Im looking to make a nice clean mid-grade (Exmt-NM)
set with centering being my main focus. I can live with a touch on a corner. Centering is more
a concern of mine. The Starr and Hornug Rookies look to be a tough find centered. I will crack a centered
6 or 7 if it has the right eye appeal.

Here's the first cards I have aquired for the set. The unitas was a SGC 80 EXMT.
Just won a nice Eddie Lebaron #1

Anybody have any centered nm ish cards I would be interested in?

Comments

• Very nice start to one of my favorite sets man!

Good luck!

• << <i>Very nice start to one of my favorite sets man!

Good luck! >>

i couldnt agree more.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Love this set too.
  • bigreddog,
    Good luck with your set and those cards are sweeeeet looking!

1957 Topps is my favorite football set as I'm putting one together myself on the registry.
    I have 84% done with a 7.78 GPA

I might have some raw cards for you, I'll send them to you at no cost. Gotta check later tonight.

1952 Topps Collector.

• i am working myself on a low grade raw set i so far have 44 and some extras..let me know what you need.
    my t-205's

• although i think mine might be to low grade for you.
    my t-205's

• I have a few on ebay and several ungraded low #s. Let me know which ones you need and I will try to help. The nm centering is a hard to find on several of the cards in the 1957 topps football set. Let's see what we can do. I will send some scans on the requested cards if I have them. Let me know what you need!

Thanks,
    John
  • blacklabblacklab Posts: 187 ✭✭
    You got a good jump off. Of those three, Unitas is the toughest.
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards, A good start on the set
  • Thanks for the replies guys, and the offers!

RAVENS: Congratulations on your achivment on the set! Thanks for your gracious offer as well!
    Im looking for well centered cards only. Im not looking for a handout so at least shoot me a
    price so I can compensate you for your time and effort!.

BENDERBROETH: Thanks for your offer, but your probably right if your doing a low grade set.
    As Ive stated CENTERING is my 1st concern. I can live with a touch on a corner or two
    But NO: Creases, rounded corners, etc.....

JBKirscht: Thank You as well for your offer to possibly help me out. At the moment I don't have a list, I pretty
    much need most all of the cards. Other than the few I posted here.

BLACKLAB: The Unitas is a double print and I must respectfully disagree that it is the toughest centering wise
    of the Big three rookies in the set, Starr, Hornug, Unitas. At this point from the searching and scanning
    Ive done, The Hornug appears to be the toughest for centering. At least from the ones I have seen.

John
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey John,

Please stick to collecting your set in graded condition.

Sincerely,
    The Raw Centered Vintage Football Collectors Guild
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • yeah i am doing this set and many others on a tight budget..so low grade is the way for me to get more sets...i am currently working on the following low grade sets
    baseball
    1952-59
    basketball
    1971-72
    football
    hockey
    71-71 topps
    my t-205's

• Hey Guys!
    Here are my most recent pick up on the set.

Mike... You will be happy to know I did stick to the graded cards. I just cracked out the Lenny Moore and Joe Perry

John
  • Where are good sources for raw cards? I've trolled ebay and there never seems to be much out there but VG stuff. NM is virtually impossible.

• << <i>Where are good sources for raw cards? I've trolled ebay and there never seems to be much out there but VG stuff. NM is virtually impossible. >>

you see that is why i am doing a low grade set..lol..ok i will admit it..i do that cause i am poor...ha ha
    my t-205's

• << <i>

<< <i>Where are good sources for raw cards? I've trolled ebay and there never seems to be much out there but VG stuff. NM is virtually impossible. >>

you see that is why i am doing a low grade set..lol..ok i will admit it..i do that cause i am poor...ha ha >>

Anyone who collects T205's isn't poor. image
  • By the way, I would have LOVED to see this set done in a full vertical card format, using just the "action" side of the card. That would have been awsome.
  • Yes it can be fustrating at times on ebay.

#1 you have to expect that most raws are going to be over graded.
    #2 I try to stay away from bigger lots of cards as they are almost ALWAYS not worth the time.
    #3 If I get grossly overgraded cards from a seller I instantly put that seller on my "Do Not Buy From" list.
    #4 I look for Graded cards in the 6,7 range as they are almost always nicer than Raws claiming to be NM or Better
    and as far as the commons go the graded cards in that 6,7 range can many times be bought for about the same as a nice raw card.
    I just crack the cards out and liberate them!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Where are good sources for raw cards? I've trolled ebay and there never seems to be much out there but VG stuff. NM is virtually impossible. >>

you see that is why i am doing a low grade set..lol..ok i will admit it..i do that cause i am poor...ha ha >>

Anyone who collects T205's isn't poor. image >>

i dont know have you seen my t205's??? ha ha
    to be honest i spend about $100 a month on t205's and i mostly do psa-1's
    my t-205's

• Just picked this card up and it is a real beauty. Yes I do have to do alot of searching to find these kind of NMish cards on ebay.
    But every now and the you can find them.

• Hey John,
    The few raw cards that I have are not in nearmint condition. If I come across any other raws I will let you know.
    You are finding some really awesome raw cards. Thanks for putting up the pics on your thread.

Steve

1952 Topps Collector.

• Hi, I also have been working on this set for around 3 years. I am currently in the process of upgrading my PSA 6's to 7's and 8's. I have These graded examples if interested:

PSA 5: #108

PSA 6's:#'s 73, 147, 16, 122, 129, 62, 88, 5, 61, 69,79, 91, 44, 51, 63, 113, 137, 49, 31, 35, 75, 52, 65, 22, 48, 107, 15, 18, 20, 68, 139, 41, 6, 14, 23, 39, 4, 47, 57, 77, 149, 27, 40, 46, 104

PSA 7's: #'s 25, 55, 34

Scans upon request.
  • Hi All

Its been awhile but Im BACK! The set is looking much better now with my latest additions.

I picked up a PSA 7 Putnam for next to nothing

I also picked up this PSA 6.5 Bart Starr and liberated it from it's slab. The card was obviously undergraded by PSA.
    I have examined the card VERY closely and they card is a Dead on 7 or better. See what you guys think, not that it
    matters as I am VERY please with this Starr Rookie being part of my set.
    Now if I can just track down a nice Hornug.

• reddog,
    I'll give the Bart Star card a grade of 7.5 - 8 image

1952 Topps Collector.

• PM sent! I would give the Bart Starr a 7 also. However, I see why they gave it a 6.5. The very light snow on the jersey and the slightly touched bottom left front/bottom right back. Good pick up! Let me know if anyone has a PSA 8 Bart Starr, Raymond Berry with no qualifiers! I am interested in trading/buying!

John
  • Im extremely happy with the Bart Starr, it has beautiful eye appeal and the centering I was looking for.
    labels aren't important no more as I have liberated the card from its plastic prison and retored it to it's
    rightful place in the world.. Ahhhhh.... I can smell the cardboard once again.

John