Home Sports Talk
Options

odd where is Joe Axtell with this

Umpires acknowledge another missed call in Series
By MIKE FITZPATRICK, AP Baseball Writer
51 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintPHILADELPHIA (AP)—For the second time in two days, umpires acknowledged they missed a key call in the World Series.

The Philadelphia Phillies scored in the first inning of Game 4 on Sunday night after Jimmy Rollins scampered safely back to third during a rundown. But television replays showed he was tagged on the backside by Tampa Bay’s Evan Longoria and should have been called out by third base ump Tim Welke.

“He’s seen the replay. He knows he missed it,” Mike Port, Major League Baseball’s vice president for umpiring, said Monday.

This is the first postseason in which baseball is using replay—though only to review home run calls.

Longoria swiped his arm in frustration after Rollins was called safe, and Rays manager Joe Maddon came out for a brief argument.

“I just saw him swing and miss. I never saw a tag,” Welke explained after Sunday night’s game. “That’s a swipe tag. A lot of times on a swipe tag, the glove will pause. I saw him try to make a swipe tag but I never saw the glove pause.”

Rollins wound up scoring when Pat Burrell drew a bases-loaded walk from Andy Sonnanstine, and the Phillies went on to a 10-2 victory that gave them a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven Series.

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    He only whines when his team loses. Believe me there would be 30 threads on this if the Phillies had lost.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    dont say the a word lol- not axtellimage
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The umps blowing a call is nothing new. It is part of the game and yes had it gone against the Sillies
    and they had lost we would have Kevin whining about it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strike zone tonight seemed whacked, there has been some issues this series but they are human after all.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook