• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    German medal of some sort. -Dan
  • Options
    Oh yeah! Very nice!! =Dan

• Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    the reverse translates roughly to "for service faithfully performed" I can't read the writing on the obverse to give you a translation there. But the coat of arms looks very familiar to me, at first I thought Hamburg but it's not, Wurrtemberg? I will check on the coat of arms later on and try to let you know for sure unless someone comes along and beats me to it...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Thanks Dan, any idea how old or what it was issued for?

Thanks Rick, any help would be appreciated-
  • Options
    Well it is fro m Cologne. It looks to me to be from the 19th century. What are the words right below the coat of arms? -Dan
  • Options
    SCHWERDT - STUTTGART

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    That is BEAUTIFUL...
  • Options
    That is the Cologne City Coat of Arms and it is a medal presented for faithful services performed as Rick said... This medal was donated by the Wirthe Guild.
    Wirth= Innkeeper or Landlord (according to the old German Professions website.)
    Schwerdt's of Stuttgart were the manufacturer of this particular medal. Interestingly, they also made things like Iron Crosses and other German Militaria...I also agree this one is probably late 19th, early 20th Century.
    That's a very cool looking Griffin on the first pic!

Jim
  • Options
    Jim,
    Thank you for taking the time to research this, that's what I needed to know.