Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball & Instant Replay...

Just flipping through the channels and happened to catch the missed call in the bottom of the first in game 4. The Phillies were given a run (I know, I know-the pitcher should have gone to second) that should have never hit the scoreboard. Overall I am sure that the umps do a good job but if they miss the call and it can be corrected through instant replay....well you know the rest.

I am just a casual observer of the game but it seems like a no brainer. I believe that there is limited use of IR but in my opinion baseball should incorporate a more comprehensive approach. I am pretty confident that the purist of the world would say differently though.

Collecting:
Dallas Cowboys
SuperBowl MVPs
Heisman Trophy Winers

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the slippery slope started with HR reviews this year, so IR will increase as time passes.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    they need instant replay, howard had that dude out last night right on replay, wouldnt have tied it up if he hadnt got on base by bad ump callimage
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the blown call when Moyer flipped the ball with his glove to Howard catching it barehanded. He was out by an easy half step and was called safe. If I remember correctly, that runner and the following runner scored and neither would have if the call was made right. Now Moyer has 3 ER in 6 IP and slightly tarnished a good start instead of only 1 Earned run.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    agreed, they need instant replay..that Howard home run was foul.

Sincerely,
    Hellen Keller, Stevie Wonder and the guy on the corner holding the can of pencils.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I think eventually it will move to the NFL style of "manager challenges." HR fair/fouls will be automatically reviewed if there is any question, but if there is a tag play or play at first, the managers will be given the ability to challenge the call. Only seems to make sense.

Balls/strikes will obviously NEVER be reviewable though.
  • Options
    I would have to put my vote in for IR. It's definitely needed sometimes to get the right call.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---