Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Penn State football the greatest football program of all time?

stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
One football program has to be considered "the greatest" and I say it's Penn State.

And I'm including the pros or any football program out there. I know it could be argued that Notre Dame, or the Green Bay Packers, or some High School team, or others could be considered the greatest by some..but considering the honesty and integrity of the Penn State football program with their very high graduation rates, the tremendous longevity and character of Joe Paterno and the coaching staff, and the huge general success of winning many games along with some championships over the years, and if it wasn't for biased voting there should have been more championships...I'd have to say that the honor of "the greatest" goes to Penn State.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol you drinking already?

What's next? The Flyers and 76's?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>lol you drinking already?

What's next? The Flyers and 76's?

Steve >>

Come on Steve - You've got good knowledge about baseball, but you don't know squat about football.
  • Options

Is the Philadelphia Soul the greatest Arena League team of all time? image
  • Options

<< <i>Is the Philadelphia Soul the greatest Arena League team of all time? image >>

I know you're probably joking, but that distinction easily belongs to the Tampa Bay Storm. 5 Titles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the Philadelphia Soul the greatest Arena League team of all time? image >>

I know you're probably joking, but that distinction easily belongs to the Tampa Bay Storm. 5 Titles. >>

Yes it was a joke.

Try to keep up. We move pretty fast here.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The short answer is No and Penn State would likely finish between 10-15, perhaps higher, if such an analysis were done.

If we look at College Football from 1869 to the Present, I think it would be hard to argue that Penn State would be ahead of these programs:

USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Nebraska and perhaps Washington. Now, if you factor the programs that were the powers in College Football for the first part of the last century (1900-1950), the question is what do you do with Army and Minnesota?

I think if you rank Penn State in the modern era alone, I think they would rank higher, but I think it would be hard for them to finish above the first nine mentioned above.

Unfortunately, I can see it is time to remind the Penn State fans that Northwestern has won or tied for more Big Ten Football Championships than Penn State since they (PSU) joined the Big Ten.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>The short answer is No and Penn State would likely finish between 10-15, perhaps higher, if such an analysis were done.

If we look at College Football from 1869 to the Present, I think it would be hard to argue that Penn State would be ahead of these programs:

USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Nebraska and perhaps Washington. Now, if you factor the programs that were the powers in College Football for the first part of the last century (1900-1950), the question is what do you do with Army and Minnesota?

I think if you rank Penn State in the modern era alone, I think they would rank higher, but I think it would be hard for them to finish above the first nine mentioned above.

Unfortunately, I can see it is time to remind the Penn State fans that Northwestern has won or tied for more Big Ten Football Championships than Penn State since they (PSU) joined the Big Ten.image >>

I knew there would be a reply such as this from someone, and that's okay...but the point of selecting "the greatest" in my view isn't predicated just on a won-loss record although certainly that's part of it. Combining it all...record, coaches, players, student graduation rates, and intangibles such as honesty and integrity, I stand by the statement that Penn State is the greatest.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    all wrong sorry, w.v.u- 119 years & not a championship-we should get a award for that, longest losing streak in ncaa fb history or something
    we had greasy neale for awhile anyways as coach-went onto eagles coach and nfl hof,at least somebody sportswise made the hall from parkersburg:we crank out a good one, every hundered years or so
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The short answer is No and Penn State would likely finish between 10-15, perhaps higher, if such an analysis were done.

Unfortunately, I can see it is time to remind the Penn State fans that Northwestern has won or tied for more Big Ten Football Championships than Penn State since they (PSU) joined the Big Ten.image >>

I knew there would be a reply such as this from someone, and that's okay...but the point of selecting "the greatest" in my view isn't predicated just on a won-loss record although certainly that's part of it. Combining it all...record, coaches, players, student graduation rates, and intangibles such as honesty and integrity, I stand by the statement that Penn State is the greatest. >>

Also - I'm not denigrating the beginnings of college football, and college football was of course popular in the first half of the 20th century, but I have to place more emphasis and value on the last say 40 -50 years than I would on the years previous to that in order to establish which program is the greatest.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I know you're probably joking, but that distinction easily belongs to the Tampa Bay Storm. 5 Titles. >>

Yes it was a joke.

Try to keep up. We move pretty fast here. >>

I knew that YOU were joking......that's why I said that. I was just pointing out Tampa's the best Arena franchise. No need to be a d-bag.
  • Options
    SteveK

First, Joe Paterno even after 43 years remains one of the bright spots as well as class acts of College Football. The Penn State Football program has done very well and is worthy of a high ranking if someone were to set a standard by which this could even be measured. I have the greatest respect for the Penn State football program, but I do not think they are the greatest program since the inception of College Football dating back to 1869.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Word up to the Philadelphia Freedom of World Team Tennis
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>all wrong sorry, w.v.u- 119 years & not a championship-we should get a award for that, longest losing streak in ncaa fb history or something
    we had greasy neale for awhile anyways as coach-went onto eagles coach and nfl hof,at least somebody sportswise made the hall from parkersburg:we crank out a good one, every hundered years or so >>

Rube , I'm sorry that happened to you. You have some beautiful women there, though.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I knew there would be a reply such as this from someone, and that's okay...but the point of selecting "the greatest" in my view isn't predicated just on a won-loss record although certainly that's part of it. Combining it all...record, coaches, players, student graduation rates, and intangibles such as honesty and integrity, I stand by the statement that Penn State is the greatest. >>

You left out arrest and/or conviction rates. They're certainly leading there the past few years.
  • Options

<< <i>SteveK

First, Joe Paterno even after 43 years remains one of the bright spots as well as class acts of College Football. The Penn State Football program has done very well and is worthy of a high ranking if someone were to set a standard by which this could even be measured. I have the greatest respect for the Penn State football program, but I do not think they are the greatest program since the inception of College Football dating back to 1869. >>

No problem with the difference of opinion. Just because I have my thoughts, doesn't mean there aren't other "great" college football teams as well, and of course obviously there are, as well as pro teams.

For example many Eagles fans would consider the Eagles the greatest. image
  • Options
    <Rube , I'm sorry that happened to you. You have some beautiful women there, though>

haaaaaaaaaa-thanx sonny, we stink this year-we might as well just forfit all games and go home image
  • Options
    A real answer is worth more than afew sentences, however, one could easily write several books in attempting to sort out this out.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Combining it all...record, coaches, players, student graduation rates, and intangibles such as honesty and integrity, I stand by the statement that Penn State is the greatest. >>

>>

Wonder if there is any way to measure which program has the best intangibles such as you mentioned above... I feel it might all be speculation. Graduation rates, if someone could come up with that statistic we would be getting somewhere. Players might be tough to argue in favor of Penn State, because..

Current NFL players by college:

Miami - 55
    Georgia - 54
    LSU - 50
    Michigan - 50
    Ohio State - 47
    Florida - 43
    USC - 42
    FSU - 42
    Per Espn - 9/14/2008

However, all time I do not know the statistic.

Coach wise, Joe is a good coach, but is he 'better' than the coaches USC has had over the last 50 years? I dunno.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    LSU National Champs (football) - 3
    Penn St National Champs - 2

LSU in last 20 years - 2 championships
    Penn St in last 20 years - 0 championships
  • Options
    we had a h.o.f coach at wvu anyways -greasy neale- went on to coach eagles in 40's-50's-was coach on the 47-48 shutout slapdown teams, never repeated-never will-too many teams now,only 12 back then i think
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>One football program has to be considered "the greatest" and I say it's Penn State. >>

ahhh, no

Sincerely,
    Iowa
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>One football program has to be considered "the greatest" and I say it's Penn State. >>

ahhh, no

Sincerely,
    Iowa >>

Hey stalin - I feel the exact same way now about my Nittany Lions as I did before this devastating loss.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Steve

Nothing personal, you are a true fan here even though we only agree on a team half of the year. I see alot of teams in the top 10 that shouldn't be there. Penn St
    was about to escape playing a real team (OSU sucks) and get to the NT game..that bothered me especially with what the SEC and texas teams had to go through.
    There was just no room for PSU and their weak schedule. You may resume pasting you weak opponents on way to whatever bowl you get into to!

Kevin