Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Victorian Threepences - Does Anybody Else Love Them, and Has Anybody Ever Seen A True Currency 1842?

OK, as usual no pictures to share, but I kind of like this series but must admit the everpresent Maundy 3ds intrude on the fun sometimes.

I have seen many 3ds but no true currency 1842 date.

Many of the offering in auctions or on ebay, even encapsulated by the "big two" (N and P as I like to call them) as currency are in fact NOT. This would be true especially of the following dates: 1839, 1841, 42, 43,44,45,46, esp. 1847 & 1848 of which dates I have never seen specimens that I would swear as currency including the three (!) I have bought from Spink & this would go for the 1852 and '53 as well, and many other later dates (ie 1869).

Apparently the obverses were used for many years and as the relief in the earlier A1 & A2 types was higher Vick tended to lose hair detail in strike even on confirmed Maundy. Also many Maundy even have die cracks, lettering errors (esp through the early 1850s), and are struck in either PL or satin format - or even a mixture of the two; a satin finish somewhat emulating currency is not at all uncommon.

Kind of reminds me of sensitivity and specificity in Logic courses, and here are some of my thoughts:

- Maundy specimens can be ruled IN as Maundy, but some must go in the questionable group. Generally whether satin or PL, these are struck up better with excellent edge details.
- Currency specimens may sometimes be ruled IN as such.
- Many specimens can not be confirmed as currency, and in the case of rare dates must be proven as such in my opinion so must be rejected or labelled as "possible" with prices reflecting those near to Maundy levels.

The above of course is referring to unc. or near such specimens and leave out the whole area of off year proof 3d specimens which can be another source of debate.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a lot of three pences, but do pick one up on occasion. I have always had a very difficult time with these deciding if they were currency or Maundy, but unfortunately have not studied them enough to have an opinion worth a nickel. This is a Jubilee head of course, but I'm not sure how you would tell the difference between a Maundy and currency strike for this date.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks currency, but the currency strikes started looking a bit better by the date of your coin - esp. the reverse leaf detail looks better.

Curiously, the rainbow toning from cases and other environmental exposure frequently go with the Maundy pieces (not always as this coin demos)...
  • Eric,
    Maundy coins have a very strong Proof-like appearance.

Have a read here all about Maundy coins.

Maundy coins are of personal interest to me,as I am a member of the Anglican Church.

Aidan.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    1879 Currency

Sorry, it's the only earlier 3d. in the corral. image
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi BC,
    These Maundy 3d are very tricky as they are Prooflike most of the time, well struck on the reverse usually so. The silky surfaces of some are proven beyond a doubt as we can see the 2d and 4d of these years show up this way. They also do not use the best of care in prep. as the lettering has many errors and the dies have many cracks and were often overused (esp. the obverse). I actually have a very nice collection of 3d in all formats: currency, proof, prooflike, satin and have many to compare. I am always willing to look at any pieces that people may have (or at least pictures).

As I have said, many or the "rare" currency dates are seen for sale, but the vast majority are in fact Maundy pieces, some of them satin, some from poorly preserved dies, some from PL dies that have been treated; truly, Caveat Emptor!!

Eric D.