Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football Question

Let's say Texas...Alabama...& Penn State all finish the regular season without a loss.

Let's say the BCS standings end like this.......

1. Texas
2. Alabama
3. Penn State

Let's say Alabama wins the SEC championship game, and Texas loses the Big XII championship game. Penn State
has no conference championship game.

Should the Title Game be Penn State vs. Alabama ? Or should it be Texas vs. Alabama ?

Comments

• Options
    Let's say Iowa is going to beat Penn State, then it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    who stole ed?
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    same question, who stole ed?
  • Options

<< <i>Let's say Iowa is going to beat Penn State, then it doesn't matter. >>

--->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I happen to like Penn State, but I think a one loss SEC team is more deserving of playing for the national title. It's a MUCH harder conference. Penn State has like 1 tough game (@OSU) and 3 potential trip up games (WISC, MICH ST, MICH). Georgia has 3 KILLERS (LSU, FLA, ALA) and 4 potential trip ups (South Car. Tenn, Auburn and Arizona St). How is that not taken into serious consideration by the voters?!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I happen to like Penn State, but I think a one loss SEC team is more deserving of playing for the national title. It's a MUCH harder conference. Penn State has like 1 tough game (@OSU) and 3 potential trip up games (WISC, MICH ST, MICH). Georgia has 3 KILLERS (LSU, FLA, ALA) and 4 potential trip ups (South Car. Tenn, Auburn and Arizona St). How is that not taken into serious consideration by the voters?! >>

Good analysis. The schedule definitely favors Penn State right now.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I have a hunch between now and the end of the season several teams will lose which will make it much more interesting... plus U$C will still only have one loss. Will come down to one loss U$C, one loss Penn State, one loss Texas, one loss 'bama and no loss Utah and Boise State. Should be fun for the BS to big their two for the "championship" game. I say U$C v. Texas and $C wins.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Penn State v University of Spoiled Children-That is not what it should be, but I believe it will play out that way.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking outside of the box................... leads me to suggest the following if more than two (3 or 4) BCS eligible teams from the "Big" conferences [SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, ACC and Big East] finish undefeated.

Take the top three teams and have coin flips. Whichever team first turns up the odd team out (one heads and two tails), that team gets a bye. The other two play each other, with the winner getting to play the bye team for the National Championship.

Or if there are four undefeated teams, have coins flips with them. The first time you get two head and two tails, the two heads teams play and the two tails teams play. The winners of these games play for the National Championship.

The coin flip process is "random" and each of the undefeated teams gets an equal chance for the bye (in a three way); and (in a four way) each gets an equal chance to win the Championship.

If a BCS team from a "non Big" conference [i.e. BYU from the Mountain West or Boise State from the WAC] are undefeated, tough noogies, you can't play at the National Championship table.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure BYU will not be undefeated. Just a hunch.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all hypothetical but is worth contemplating...

Texas- Alabama is the title game. Texas lost one game in the Big 12 Championship and plays an unbeaten Alabama squad and wins against Alabama. Penn State finishes the season unbeaten and defeats USC in the Rosebowl. USC had one loss going into the game. We have a Penn State team that had a perfect season and are denied a National Championship because they did not play in the so-called title game.

Could it happen? Yup

yes I changed contemplating

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>This is all hypothetical but is worth contamplating...

Texas- Alabama is the title game. Texas lost one game in the Big 12 Championship and plays an unbeaten Alabama squad and wins against Alabama. Penn State finishes the season unbeaten and defeats USC in the Rosebowl. USC had one loss going into the game. We have a Penn State team that had a perfect season and are denied a National Championship because they did not play in the so-called title game.

Could it happen? Yup >>

I disagree, if one of three unbeatens loses their conference championship game, they will not play for the national title. The human polls won't allow it. The worst case scenarios for the BCS are:

1 - Everyone loses one game

2 - Everyone loses one game except Penn St (huge argument as to who plays them and if that team wins, we could have a split national title)
  • Options
    A Texas team with One loss could play for the Title.. JMHO

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    If texas loses, it won't be in the big 12 championship game. We are winning the north and we s u c k.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Can we get over the SEC is the toughest conference stuff Vito? If we went by your argument, the Big Ten conference should basically just stop playing football......along with the PAC10, Mountain West, Sunbelt.......everyone. If a Big Ten team goes undefeated and still can't play in the championship, why should they even exist? Don't you hear how dumb your argument sounds? The SEC doesn't have a spot in the Championship game reserved for them each year, just because they are the SEC.

I want to add one more thing. I think the Big Ten has it all figured out by not having a conference championship game. They don't need it. It's decided during the regular season. The team at the top with the best record wins! Easy enough.

Now you go to the SEC.......the Championship game could end up being Georgia vs Alabama. Well, they already played once this year. Why should Alabama have to beat Georgia twice? If Alabama loses, that whipping they put on Georgia earlier in the season will have meant nothing. Now tell me if that makes any sense!

• Options
    Until another conference gets even close to the power in the SEC, the SEC should have an automatic spot in the BCS title game as long as they have a team with only one conference loss. If LSU still had Nick Satan, we would have numerous threads about whether or not LSU could win it again, for the 4th time in a row.

Edit to add that I am obviously not a fan of Les Miles. Luck is the only reason we were even in the game last year. At least I am man enough to admit that. Nick Satan would not have allowed us to lose to Arkansas last year and Florida the year before.
  • Options
    Now what if Texas loses in their conference championship, Alabama loses in their conference championship and Penn State stays undefeated. Penn State should be put in the National Championship. Who do they play?

........one loss Texas, one loss Alabama or a one loss Conference Champion USC? Would you want teams that didn't even win their conference, playing for a National Championship? Doesn't seem right, does it?
  • Options
    Spoken like a true brainwashed SEC fan "lsutigers1973." That's exactly what I'm talking about. Just in case you haven't noticed, the SEC is not the best conference right now. I know you can't see that for yourself. That's why I'm here to show you the way!!

Besides Alabama, Georgia and Florida.......well, those are the only three teams that have anything going on this year. Sorry to be the one to break the news to you, but let that reality sink in. Don't get me wrong, the SEC is one of the better conferences in college football, just not way above the rest like you think!
  • Options

<< <i>Can we get over the SEC is the toughest conference stuff Vito? If we went by your argument, the Big Ten conference should basically just stop playing football......along with the PAC10, Mountain West, Sunbelt.......everyone. If a Big Ten team goes undefeated and still can't play in the championship, why should they even exist? Don't you hear how dumb your argument sounds? The SEC doesn't have a spot in the Championship game reserved for them each year, just because they are the SEC.

I want to add one more thing. I think the Big Ten has it all figured out by not having a conference championship game. They don't need it. It's decided during the regular season. The team at the top with the best record wins! Easy enough.

Now you go to the SEC.......the Championship game could end up being Georgia vs Alabama. Well, they already played once this year. Why should Alabama have to beat Georgia twice? If Alabama loses, that whipping they put on Georgia earlier in the season will have meant nothing. Now tell me if that makes any sense! >>

Man, I live in Los Angeles and was born in Boston. I am a college football fan with no team. You need to open your eyes to these schedules:

PENN ST
    8/30 Coastal Carolina W 66-10
    9/06 Oregon State W 45-14
    9/13 @ Syracuse W 55-13
    9/20 Temple W 45-3
    9/27 No. 22 Illinois W 38-24
    10/04 @ Purdue W 20-6
    10/11 @ Wisconsin W 48-7
    10/18 Michigan 8-0 W 46-17
    10/25 @ No. 9 Ohio State W 13-6
    11/08 @ Iowa
    11/15 Indiana
    11/22 No. 21 Michigan State

GEORGIA
    8/30 Georgia Southern W 45-21
    9/06 Central Michigan W 56-17
    9/13 @ South Carolina W 14-7
    9/20 @ Arizona State W 27-10
    9/27 No. 8 Alabama L 41-30
    10/11 Tennessee W 26-14
    10/18 No. 22 Vanderbilt W 24-14
    10/25 @ No. 13 LSU W 52-38
    11/01 No. 8 Florida
    11/08 @ Kentucky
    11/15 @ Auburn
    11/29 Georgia Tech

What do you see? I see a Georgia team that plays three absolute killer games plus roadies at Arizona St, South Carolina and Auburn, plus what was then an undefeated Vandy team. On top, I see a Penn St team that plays ONE killer game all year (@OSU) and has the only other two ranked opponents who are fairly weak at home.

I like Penn St. But let me ask you this, if Penn St were to play a one loss Texas, USC, Georgia or Oklahoma on a neutral field for the nantional title, would they be the favorite over ANY of them? No. They'd be +7 to Texas, +6 1/2 to USC, +4 1/2 to UGA and +6 1/2 to OKLA.

Do I think an undefeated Big 10 team should play for the title if there is only one other team that is undefeated, YES. Do I think all four of the above teams are better than them? YES. Is there any doubt in my mind that the BIG 12 and the SEC are far and away better than the Big 10? NO.

So there you have it. I'm not sure how you can argue any of those points but I'm sure you'll try.
  • Options

<< <i>Besides Alabama, Georgia and Florida....... >>

That's all you got? What other conference has 3 teams with a legitimate shot at a national title this late in the season?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Besides Alabama, Georgia and Florida....... >>

That's all you got? What other conference has 3 teams with a legitimate shot at a national title this late in the season? >>

Are you serious? Have you seen the rankings lately? The Big 12 has four teams with a shot. Of course things will start changing in the next week. In fact, after Georgia/Florida this weekend, one of them is gone. Now the SEC is down to two. If Texas Tech beats Texas, the Longhorns aren't going to drop below Florida or Georgia, so they'll still have 4 teams, while the SEC will be down to 2. Your SEC Alabama team won't be doing themselves any favors in the rankings by playing a weak Sunbelt Conference team this late in the season. They also won't be helping their cause in a couple weeks when they take their "second" bye week of the season.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So there you have it. I'm not sure how you can argue any of those points but I'm sure you'll try. >>

Okay Vito, you really didn't make any good points, but I'll reply to what you said. As far as the schedules, I see a Penn State team that dominated everyone it's played and is now 9-0. The only close game was against Ohio State. I watched a 48-7 crushing of a Wisconsin team that was ranked #8 in the nation the previous week. I also saw a 45-14 crushing of an Oregon State team that ended up knocking off the #1 team in the nation a few weeks later. Then they beat a #9 ranked Ohio State team who's only other loss was to the #1 USC Trojans.

As for Georgia......they had a big win against LSU on the road and an average win at home against Vanderbilt. The rest of their opponents are having average or below average seasons. Georgia Southern is an FCS school. Central Michigan is playing a weak MAC schedule and has lost to the last place team in the Big Ten. Arizona State has two wins all year. Tennessee has three wins all year. South Carolina hasn't beat a team with a winning record. Of course I can't forget about the whipping they took from Alabama (31-0 at the half was about all I needed to see).

Regarding Penn State being a favorite in any of those games you mention.......the only reason they wouldn't be is because the people doing the lines are still thinking of Ohio State getting beat twice in a row. They have the predetermined image of what the Big Ten is, much like yourself.

You can believe all four of those teams are better. I don't know either way. If they play, we'll find out. If you think the Big 12 and SEC are far and away better than the Big Ten, you just keep on believing it. Better yet, start checking the head to head matchups between them over the last three or four years. You may be surprised at what you find out.

• Options
    Lets give Penn State just a little credit here... They crushed Oregon State. The beat Wisconsin at Kamp Randell in a very convincing manner. The win against Illinois was a decent win for them. Illinois was a ranked team at the time.

Penn State could play in the title game, but they have to finish unbeaten and they will need help from some unlikely suspects

• Options

Just a reminder of my prediction. I don't care what happens the rest of the year.
  • Options
    No one ever said beating Iowa at Kennick Field was going to be easy...image

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>

Just a reminder of my prediction. I don't care what happens the rest of the year. >>

wow, nice prediction, its not the philies will win it all post, but close to it..nice!

JS