Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lincoln profiles and question for MPL experts only!!

Hello All Matte Heads-

Playing around with some MPL Tru-views and JPEG cropping feature, I thought it might be interesting to illustrate a profile of Abe Lincoln from three MPL Cents: One dated 1909 and the next from a 1916. Quite a difference in detail, but each has a particular and disticnt beauty, in my opinion. The third is a MPL Abe profile from an undisclosed date. Can our message board Matte Proof Lincoln experts tell me the date of the third profile and why? C'mon, this is easy..... ; ) How about guessing the graded colors of the coins?

Comments

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    1914 - IMO...
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

#1 1909 PCGS PR65RB

#2 1916 PCGS PR66BN

#3 1914 PCGS PR65RB
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    #1 1909 PCGS PR65RB

#2 1916 PCGS PR66BN

#3 1914 PCGS PR65RB

i agree with brian when it comes to matty's

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert, but then again, I have not studied the 1914 like the others I have had for quite some time. In my defense, the 1915 has a few lines around the chin and behind the neck that appear similar to some of the stronger lines around the 1914. Examining true-view images of the Blay 1914 really locks up the argument for that date.
  • Options

<< <i>#1 1909 PCGS PR65RB

#2 1916 PCGS PR66BN

#3 1914 PCGS PR65RB

i agree with brian when it comes to matty's >>

You never forget what an old matty friend looks likeimage
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    yeah i was a lil lost on #3 but safest bet in vegas is on brian when it comes to all things matty
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    The 1914 has the amazing chin striations from the chin down to the date. The glowing Red examples usually show off the diagnostic well. The amazing Blay 1914 PR66RB with the glowing obverse is the most dramatic I have seen personally.

I cropped to just below the chin to be 'tricky'. Looks like it was not so tricky. But it is fun.

But, Brian, that's not very fair....... you sold all of these coins!

How about an example for the Matte Heads of an unknown date from the archives. See how good we are.....
  • Options

OK, here is one to "guess the date" on. No searching registry sets for a look alike.

• Options
    without searching

second thought...a 1915

1st thought was an 11' as they seem to truly have an abundance of toners

no expert here but love the series

• Options
    1909 - No-the die striations from the end of Linclon's nose are absent;
    1910 - No-the diagnostics in WE TRUST are too weak;
    1911 - No-the "Y" in LIBERTY is not filled;
    1912 - No-the surface is wrong;
    1913 - Close - right texture and color, but the classic diagnotics are absent, and I would expect more die "swirls" in the left and right fields;
    1914 - Yes. But late die state, as indicated by the smooth surface - the chin striations may be absent, but the small 'curl' die line by the "Y" in LIBERTY is clear, and the horizontal thin die line above the "W" in WE is a 1914 diagnostic (it looks like a 'tilde');
    1915 - No-the neck details and beard are not detailed enough;
    1916 - No-The surface is not matted like a typical 1916.

Is it a 1914? And for a grade; it's very clean, with a good strike and has color, so it's not a RD ... unless the rest of the coin is completely out of sync with what you are showing us, it's either a PR66RB or 66BN, probably PQ. As there is nothing to indicate any red on the surface, my 'guess' is its a colorfully-toned brown.
  • Options

Duane is correct! I am going to do one more coin. Here it is!

• Options
    now that looks like that 09 pr65brn of late

• Options
    Teddy,

good guess but you are only 50% correct. You have got the grade right but not the date. This one is "not" pictured in any of the PCGS registry sets.
  • Options
    Not in the records? Ted’s in trouble : ) Good clue, though.

This one looked tricky, but the devil is in the details....

1909 - No-the die striations from the end of Lincoln’s nose are absent, and Brian told us already;
    1910 - No-the diagnostics in WE TRUST are too weak;
    1911 - No-the "Y" in LIBERTY is not filled, and “1” in 1911 in not ‘notched’ on top;
    1912 - No-the surface is wrong, and the “neck notch” indents are too detailed (especially for a PR65!);
    1913 - No – the diagnostics in GOD WE TRUST are absent;
    1914 – No – any/all diagnostics in the photo for a 1914 are absent;
    1915 - Yes-the sculpted neck indents and beard ARE detailed enough, the surface has a 1915 satin greasy ‘sheen’. Also, the fine die lines around WE TRUST work. Last, the coin has toned with a ‘woody’ pattern – I have only seen that in the 1909s and 1915s, and we have eliminated the ‘09;
    1916 - No-The surface is wrong for a typical 1916.

Is it a 1915? I guess we know it’s a PR65BN. That's my best guess. Brian – It looks like the Matte Heads have gone to bed. Did I get it?
  • Options
    Off to bed - work in morning. I'll find out tomorrow if the Matte tutorial from the last 8 months paid off image
  • Options
    the hair and beard details lead me to think 15 or 16

• Options

<< <i>Off to bed - work in morning. I'll find out tomorrow if the Matte tutorial from the last 8 months paid off image >>

image Dang your good! 1915 it is
  • Options
    Well that's a nice way to wake up. Grasshopper is long gone! image

C'mon Brian. Pull one more from the stacks that no one has seen in public. BYW - I'll take the '15, when/if its available, providing it has a RD album-toned reverse?? And I see the '14 does too (albeit 66BN). May I ask where the '14 resides? - No, I did NOT look on the Registry.....but I know someone who did, and considering that there are only three players here...... TEDDY.........

And where is the Matte Head Posse when we need them? This should be just practice for them..... Do I have to post a raw coin on eBay to get any response? I can do that image