Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some Canadian Color

While this is certainly no "high roller" coin I was pleasantly surprised to find this coin while sorting through some Canadian mint boxes in a forgotten cabinet at work a week or so ago. I don't think I ever got around to posting pictures of it, my apologies if I already did.

1971 CANADA SILVER SPECIMEN DOLLAR PROOF

When I first opened the box, this is what I saw:

Didn't think much of it really, other than the obverse looked like a relatively nice strike. Saw the toning on the edges and thought I should look at the reverse to see if I needed to pull the thing out of inventory all together.

Now typically if I am going to see a toned silver coin I like, it needs to be pretty muted toning. Color is great, but I generally want nice blends of more pastel like colors. However, after seeing what 20+ years in one of those mint boxes can do to a coin, knowing it absolutely wasn't a purposefully toned coin, and just liking "the look" - I think I'm going to build a toner album of them. It is a cheap and accessible series, but finding toning I like in them could prove an interesting challenge.

Comments

• Options
    imageimageimage
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is perhaps the best '71 I've ever seen and I've seem perhaps 100 of them.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed, that is a particularly nice one. Forgotten/remembered coins can be fun re-discoveries.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Yup. Fun and inexpensive way to collect toned stuff. The '71-'73 silver dollars can be had on the cheap ($5-15 raw, $20-40 slabbed) other than a few people trying to get insane money on eBay.

I just sent 90 of them off to be imaged. Photo gallery to come. image
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a few of those in a recent estate purchase but none of them have toning image

Nice score for you!
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options

<< <i>While this is certainly no "high roller" coin I was pleasantly surprised to find this coin while sorting through some Canadian mint boxes in a forgotten cabinet at work a week or so ago. I don't think I ever got around to posting pictures of it, my apologies if I already did.

1971 CANADA SILVER SPECIMEN DOLLAR PROOF

When I first opened the box, this is what I saw:

Didn't think much of it really, other than the obverse looked like a relatively nice strike. Saw the toning on the edges and thought I should look at the reverse to see if I needed to pull the thing out of inventory all together.

Now typically if I am going to see a toned silver coin I like, it needs to be pretty muted toning. Color is great, but I generally want nice blends of more pastel like colors. However, after seeing what 20+ years in one of those mint boxes can do to a coin, knowing it absolutely wasn't a purposefully toned coin, and just liking "the look" - I think I'm going to build a toner album of them. It is a cheap and accessible series, but finding toning I like in them could prove an interesting challenge. >>

Pheh,
    That's a really nice Canadian silver $1 medal-coin that you've got there.

Aidan.