Home Precious Metals
Options

PMs through customs

Is anyone familiar with the rule on how many ounces of silver or gold one can be in possesion of through customs. I will be coming from Australia. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Is anyone familiar with the rule on how many ounces of silver or gold one can be in possesion of through customs. I will be coming from Australia. Any help would be appreciated. >>

Try this link

A small number of coins shouldn't be a problem. Put them in your carry on bag or on your person.

Checked baggage is x-rayed, and you'd be surprised how many bags or various items go "missing".

Larger amounts, I'd be careful. You could get hit for taxes and Homeland Security would be very interested if you don't have an import license.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is anyone familiar with the rule on how many ounces of silver or gold one can be in possesion of through customs. I will be coming from Australia. Any help would be appreciated. >>

A bit of free advice: Though these forums are wonderful sources of information in certain areas, I would not trust them for legal advice.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Instead of carrying them I'd just ship them to your address in the states. If your talking about quite a bit I'd use more than one package. JMO
  • Options

<< <i>

A bit of free advice: Though these forums are wonderful sources of information in certain areas, I would not trust them for legal advice.
    MOO
    TD >>

Not giving legal advice at all, however I am familiar with customs and Homeland.

I merely directed him to the US Customs website along with a bit of advice based on experience.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

MOO
    TD >>

Not giving legal advice at all, however I am familiar with customs and Homeland.

I merely directed him to the US Customs website along with a bit of advice based on experience. >>

There was absolutely nothing wrong with anything you said or advised.

I was merely pointing out that this forum, in general, is not a good place to obtain legal advice. People ask us in the coin shop all the time for legal advice, and I always politely refer them to seek a professional in that field.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    just my 2 cents, but id ship em to yourself and save yourself the hassle of customsimage
  • Options

<< <i>just my 2 cents, but id ship em to yourself and save yourself the hassle of customsimage >>

FYI, all packages from out of the country are x-rayed.

You're not avoiding US Customs as they are the ones in charge of this.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just my 2 cents, but id ship em to yourself and save yourself the hassle of customsimage >>

PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    No duty on bullion click
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Here is a link to US customs for US Citizens returning to the US:

US Customs for Returning US Citzens

Sounds like your only concern is with bullion, but there are some coins such as ancient Iraqi coins that currently should not be brought into the country, you may want to search bullentins if there is anything of historical value that may be considered part of any countries national heritage.