Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help please! Spanish silver colonials 1780- 1819

I am going to look at about 12 of these tomorrow for potentional purchase. Does anyone here have any information on them, online preferably?

I'm trying to find out 1)How to distinguish fakes, 2) price ranges, and 3) more general information on them.

I also posted this thread in the US forum because these coins did circulate in the US for quite a while.

Also, I have a picture below of a coin that I can't find in the Krause... Supposedly it is a 2001 Austrian re-strike (and yes this is the only picture that I have). Anybody know what this coin is and what it's value might be?
Buying £2 Britannias

Comments

• Options
    This may help.
    Web Site Link
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    Well I went ahead and purchased a few of these, I hope that I didn't make a mistake.

Coin 1:

Coin 2:

Coin 3:

Coins 4 - 10
    representitive sample (the guy told me that these are reproductions struck at the Mexico mint with the original dies to celerbate the 500th anniversary of the Mexican mint and they were struck in Silver. However I see some very similar ones being sold on ebay and he says the composition is white copper, so I'm not sure what to make of these):

and the Austrian coin that I was referring to:

What do you all think about the "pieces of 8", authenticity, prices, etc...

The first one has marks all over it and I'm assuming it is from trade with China and other countries. I don't think any of these would make it into a slab but they have a lot of history.

I purchased these coins along with some other interesting ones that I posted in this thread , for those of you interested as well.
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you please post the weight of the first 3? #1 looks authentic to me, albeit cleaned. #2 I think is a counterfeit based on a couple red flags, one of them being the lettering much thicker than normal, and in #3 the dentils looks uneven, which is also a good sign that it's not authentic. Edge descriptions or photos would help. Do you notice anything unusual about the edge design? Are there opposite overlaps in the design? Is the edge design even, wavy? Any vertical striations in one part of the edge?

• Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the opinion... I just purchased a scale and I should have it soon to check the weight.

I'll have to remove them from the 2x2s, I'll let you know.
    Buying £2 Britannias