Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWP Brazil 1000 Reis

Just got this in today from fleabay. 1913 A in NGC 63, bright white but the luster still looks good. Quite an attractive portrait I think.

Comments

• goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    nice purchase! image
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin -- I had that on my watchlist but decided to pass. image
  • I like that design too ! Will be a beauty when it attains some peripheral toning..
    Got my curiosity up so I went browsing:
    Found 1 on EvilBay "raw" with some toning..

<< <i>I like that design too ! Will be a beauty when it attains some peripheral toning..
    Got my curiosity up so I went browsing:
    Found 1 on EvilBay "raw" with some toning.. >>

That one doesn't appear to be uncirculated -- I would call it AU. But the price isn't bad, even in that condition.
  • I picked up a 1913 2000 Reis at a show recently. My images do not really show the coin very well.

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Another 2000
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, but think it was lucky to go 63 as it does have the "dipsies" and also a lot of bagmarking - the dog the cra- out of me when I submit anything like this. Not that grading numbers necessarily are important with this coin, but would probably go 58 on it for a number...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

<< <i>Nice coin, but think it was lucky to go 63 as it does have the "dipsies" and also a lot of bagmarking - the dog the cra- out of me when I submit anything like this. Not that grading numbers necessarily are important with this coin, but would probably go 58 on it for a number... >>

I think it's definitely uncirculated because of the luster, just weakly struck, as are most of these. I'll agree the bagmarks are distracting, though these coins were minted in Berlin and shipped halfway around the world to Brazil, and bagmarks are rather common on them.

Here's one of mine of a different denomination. It's a lousy scan that doesn't show the luster and clean surfaces, but it's a PCGS MS66:

imageimage
    Luster yes, bagmarks and friction at bonnet folds and on top of the (softly) struck leaves no, thus the "58" and almost the definition of a 58...
    Obviously I can't be sure from a photo, but those are the points most likely to suffer from strike weakness. I've never seen one of these with full bonnet folds, not even in an original roll of 500 reis I once had the opportunity to look through. Even if it's roll friction it's probably not severe enough to bump it out of an MS grade by NGC's standards.
    True words!