Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

china one cash coin

well this is my new coin it's a china one cash coin that dates 1889 made in Guangdong

the coin has been cleaned but overall a nice coin

Updated the info

Coins for sale at link below
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I rather like these. Krause says this piece was minted in 1889 in Guangdong. It is one of the first milled coins in Chinese numismatic history.

(The image to the left is upside down.)
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool

thanks for the info

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    1889. How can you tell?

Neat example.

I thought I heard somewhere that these were cast and not struck - is that correct?

Bob
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1889. How can you tell?

Neat example.

I thought I heard somewhere that these were cast and not struck - is that correct? >>

The coins aren't actually dated; we know from mint records that that's when coins with this particular design were struck. This one is type 1 (KM/Y# 189).

Ordinarily, cash-style coins (round with square hole) were cast and not struck, but the Guangzhou (Canton) mint obtained modern western-style minting machinery in the 1880's, and these were the among the first coins to be made there.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    The coin does not bear the year of its production but it does bear the name of the reign in which it was minted, which was "Guangxu." The Guangxu reign lasted from 1875 to 1908. There are some examples of "cash" coins that are dated but they are unusual. I posted some pictures of a few a while back. I will see if I can find the thread.
  • Options
    Here we go, cash coins with dates:

link