Home Sports Talk
Options

Question for Southern California or LA based NFL fans

bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
Just wondering how everyone in the LA, California area feels we never got an NFL football team and it seems hopeless. What team do you root for these days and do you hope we ever get a team? I couldn't root for the Rams anymore since Georgia took her Late-husband's team away and I never could get into the Raiders and thank God I didn't. I'm not a big time NFL fan anymore, but I find myself rooting for the Chargers and that dates back to before they wasted all the cash on Ryan Leaf. image

Before USC re-signed with the LA Coliseum this year, Long Beach was throwing out an idea of having a pro football stadium near the Queen Mary which would host USC games and down the road NFL games. I believe that idea when out the door. Too bad as Long Beach would have been a good spot for football.

I guess we are lucky to have such a big sports venue minus NFL.

Brian

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I always thought the problem was that there were no L.A.-based NFL fans?
  • Options

<< <i> I always thought the problem was that there were no L.A.-based NFL fans? >>

I don't think that was the problem. I remember the Rams having good attendance in LA and at Anaheim and the Raiders doing fine in LA.

I think it came down to money and not having a new stadium, plus you had Al Davis playing his games and swindling $20million from Irwindale and Georgia taking her late husband's team to St Louis for a sweet deal.

As far as fans, I think I see more Raiders and other NFL shirts around than MLB and NBA.

Either way, I'm ok without a team.
  • Options
    I just read something about the LA area and NFL. I remember it did say that there was good attendance for the Rams, but there was something that St Louis offered that was more enticing than what they had. The article did say that there are several NFL teams that could potentially be relocated in the next few years, and that LA was a perfect spot for them.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    Sorry Brian, but no respecting sport fan roots for the Chargers. image
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i> Sorry Brian, but no respecting sport fan roots for the Chargers. >>

My cousins and wife's family are all in the "RaiderNation" and the Chargers have owned the Raiders lately...So at least that is working for me. But luckilly I haven't tuned in for much NFL this year.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in LA and still root for the Ram's.

People in LA have enough to do that the NFL is just not a big deal. Some places the whole city lives for it. In LA they could take it or leave it. I find very few people in LA care about the lack of an NFL team. Of course, there are some huge NFL fans there but not like Green Bay, Buffalo, etc....
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that the Raider's 16 year lease with Oakland/Alameda County that was entered into prior to the 1995 season expires after the 2010 season. After the 2009 season finishes up, I expect that Al Davis (if he is still around) or his successors will start "exploring options" and will, of course, consider a return to So. Cal. Maybe Irwindale will pay the Raider's another $10,000,000.00image

I recall that in the past the Raiders and Al Davis have made statements about the Raider's having territorial rights to So. Cal. and that the NFL could not put a team in So. Cal. without paying "compensation" to the Raiders.

Al D. litigated with Oakland and the NFL when it left Oakland in 1981 for LA. He litigated with Oakland (and maybe the NFL) after he returned to Oakland in 1995. The politicos in Oakland and Alameda County are so smitten with the Raiders that they will do anything to keep the Raiders in their ancestral home. It would not surprise me to see Oakland and Alameda County negotiate with the Raiders about an extension, sign so contract related documents and end up being in litigation with the Raiders once again in or about 2010-2011.

Ah yes, the "Greatness Of The Raiders" continues.
  • Options
    If Ed Roski can ever build his proposed $800 million stadium in the City Of Industry, a NFL team would surely move to LA. Maybe New Orleans?
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    just what cali needs, a few more pro sports teams image
  • Options

<< <i> just what cali needs, a few more pro sports teams >>

Dang Randy, I think you set a new all time posting record yesterday. lolimage