Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thoughts on Greg Oden's best rookie card

looking to pick up some boxes of his cards to stash away for a rainy day. Normally I would pick up Upper Deck SP...what are your thougths on what may be the best Oden box to pick up. I am not too fond of the Exquisite boxes...way too expensive.

Comments

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Topps Chrome? Contains Autos, refractors, etc.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Just an opinion, but it was truly an Oden card you were after, I would wait until the season is half over and then buy it. Oden's cards have nowhere to go but down. He was overrated at Ohio State and is overmatched against some of the better centers in the NBA. That combined with the fact he plays in Portland will keep his card values down even with early success.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    ouch that was mean...ha ha i live in poprtland....but i agree in a way at least about his greatness i am much more fond of rduy fernandez!!!! go blazers!!! and i do think here anyways he is way to overrated....but portland is awesome!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>Just an opinion, but it was truly an Oden card you were after, I would wait until the season is half over and then buy it. Oden's cards have nowhere to go but down. He was overrated at Ohio State and is overmatched against some of the better centers in the NBA. That combined with the fact he plays in Portland will keep his card values down even with early success. >>

I gotta disagree on that one. Oden is going to be a great player. He wont be a great offensive player, but he will be a dominant defensive force for years. And Portland will make the playoffs this year. There will definitely be at least as much of a current demand for his cards, and maybe even more once this season is half over.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I agree with billwaltonsbeard...I think that he will be a force and very collectible.

Bowman Chrome?

Upper Deck SP or SPX??
  • Options
    Completely agree with billwaltonsbeard too, get them now. He's going to be a great defensive center for a long time and it doesn't take much for a rookie, which he technically still is, to get collector's attention. One game with on ESPN or TNT with five blocks and a couple dunks will have enough people sold and we know he'll be featured on SportsCenter. That said, he doesn't have many great rookie cards. All of his autos are with Topps so it's not worth pickup up UD products for Oden. Grab some of his Finest Autos, Bowman Chrome Autos and Topps Chrome Autos...none are actual rookie cards, but those will probably be the three big ones. Also, his Topps Triple Thread rookie relic auto and his Topps Rookie Photo Shoot autograph will be solid too.
    Steven Bloedow
    Collect Auctions
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Bowman Chrome and Finest

Exquisite?
  • Options

<< <i>Just an opinion, but it was truly an Oden card you were after, I would wait until the season is half over and then buy it. Oden's cards have nowhere to go but down. He was overrated at Ohio State and is overmatched against some of the better centers in the NBA. That combined with the fact he plays in Portland will keep his card values down even with early success. >>

WOW!
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    Oden out 2-4 weeks with a sprained foot. The Ken Griffey of the NBA is at it again. I realize my opinion differs with a lot of others, but I still feel Oden's best RC will be LESS in 10 years than it is now. Unless Portland starts winning championships, he will have little media exposure (other than his string of injuries, going back to Ohio State). That combined with him not being the offense's focal point will keep him from being an elite player to collect. Defense wins championships, but doesnt equate to card values. Rodman, Gary Payton, many of the Pistons teams over the years, all had great defensive ability, but their cards have little interest at all.

Time will tell though. When Oden becomes the next Shaq, feel free to bring this thread up and say I told you so
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Oden may end up on the long list of NBA players who never really made an impact due to injuries.

The guy is still just 20 years old, but this is not good.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Oden can't be compared to Griffey until he actually plays great and has a HOF career. He's not even guaranteed to ever play the way he's going, that comparison to Griffey is just ignorant.
  • Options
    I smell bust. Plus the guy already looks like he is 40. Also this gem was reported in the story.

"The Trail Blazers also said in a release that Oden’s MRI revealed a couple of avulsions, or fractures, that “are not believed serious and do not require surgery.”

Does anyone remember Bill Walton?? Not a good sign that at his young age his body is already breaking down on him. Save your money.
  • Options

<< <i>I smell bust. Plus the guy already looks like he is 40. Also this gem was reported in the story.

"The Trail Blazers also said in a release that Oden’s MRI revealed a couple of avulsions, or fractures, that “are not believed serious and do not require surgery.”

Does anyone remember Bill Walton?? Not a good sign that at his young age his body is already breaking down on him. Save your money. >>

this is my fear......
    my t-205's

• Options
    with or without ODEN..i really loved the blazers tonight..100-99 i was there and it was a great game with tons and tons of excitement!!!
    my t-205's

• Options

<< <i>Oden can't be compared to Griffey until he actually plays great and has a HOF career. He's not even guaranteed to ever play the way he's going, that comparison to Griffey is just ignorant. >>

I think the comparison to Griffey is spot on. Without injuries, Griffey could be the HR leader right now as well as a lot of other stat categories. Since the post was comparing Oden to Griffey "injury wise", the post wasnt ignorant, just your response.
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I like this kid quite a lot and if he can stay on the court he will defintely have a impact. Players like him such as Dikembe Mutombo can have quite a impact on the game even though they are Offensively challenged if the stick to what they do best (Defense/Rebounding), but as others have said I am really skeptical of his injury issues at such a young age. I hope were all wrong.
  • Options
    "I think the comparison to Griffey is spot on. Without injuries, Griffey could be the HR leader right now as well as a lot of other stat categories."

um... i dont think so.

Griffey missed time as his career progressed. Oden seems as fragile as Nomar or Nancy(JD) Drew...
  • Options
    Looks like Sam Bowie.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I think the comparison to Griffey is spot on. Without injuries, Griffey could be the HR leader right now as well as a lot of other stat categories. Since the post was comparing Oden to Griffey "injury wise", the post wasnt ignorant, just your response. >>

How's the comparason to Griffey "spot on"? Griffey establisehd himself as a hall of famer before injuries slowed him down. Griffey's going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Injuries prevented him from being the "Best of All Time" and forced him to settle for "One of the All Time Best".

You'd be closer to the mark by comparing Oden to someone like Todd Van Poppell. He was drafted with lots of hype, but immediatly struggled with injuries that erased all of the hype.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25