Home Sports Talk
Options

Helen Keller school of umpires

I thought they closed this school in the 70's? MLB should be ashamed.

JS

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can Cole Hamels go on 2 days rest? BAHAHAHAHAimage
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Well it's the same umpire for both teams and yes a few of the plate umpires in the playoffs seem to be very inconsistant in their strikes and balls.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Im not talking about strikes and balls, even though I thought that sucked too, but Rollins was hit and the ump missed it. He should lose his pension over that call. Also
    called a player out and then changed it to a walk. Two MAJOR mistakes. MLB can't find a few guys who can see? Is this really the best of the best?

JS
  • Options
    And the umps didn't screw the Rays in game 1? Call it even if it makes you feel better. lol
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I find it sad when grown adults complaint about the umps/refs in sports. Get over it. Happens to EVERY team at one point or another. You win some and you lose some. Refs/umps are NOT perfect. Shocking! I am a big King's fans and my fellow Sacramentoans still complain about the calls in the 2002 playoffs against the Laker's. It's embarrasing. You lost now move on. Anybody over 10 years old that complains about the refs costing them a game is pathetic in my opinion.
  • Options
    whoa, Im not talking about some meaningless Kings game here. Im talking about game two of the world series. The "balk" call was a judgement call, just
    like all the strike calls. The two calls against the Phillies were fact...guy called out on strikes who then gets a walk, and then Rollins being hit by a pitch
    and not going to first. Didn't any of you actually watch the game?

JS
  • Options
    The King's game was not quite meaningless, they had the best record in the NBA, was in the western conf finals and they would have waltzed through the eastern champion in 2002. However, I don't whine about it because it is what it is. Everybody gets some calls and loses some calls. Most of us are more apt to see the calls that go against our team rather than the calls we get a break on. Clearly that ball hit the guy's jersey last night and I assume hitting the jersey is enough to be a hit batsmen but guess what... umps are humans and they miss calls. Get over it. I have a hunch you go through life being right about everything so I will not belabor the point.
  • Options

<< <i> whoa, Im not talking about some meaningless Kings game here. Im talking about game two of the world series. The "balk" call was a judgement call, just
    like all the strike calls. The two calls against the Phillies were fact...guy called out on strikes who then gets a walk, and then Rollins being hit by a pitch
    and not going to first. Didn't any of you actually watch the game?

JS >>

Well umpires are part of the human element of baseball and that's the way it's been forever. So are you saying the Umps have NOT made ONE CALL that has affected the Rays?? come on it's part of the game. You weren't crying when the Dodger's pitchers weren't getting the same strike calls throughout the games as the Phillies pitchers did, but the Phils won and it's over. Like Larry said, get over it dude!

Also, the players in the game know what's going on and they should not be taking a pitch so close if they actually feel it could go either way.

Brian
  • Options
    again Im not talking about opinion...the ball hit rollins FACT, Ump missed it, how can you miss that and how can you hold up the strike out sign and then point
    the guy towards first base?

JS
  • Options
    Kevin, can I get you a box of tissues for your tears?
  • Options
    again Im not talking about opinion...the ball hit rollins FACT, Ump missed it, how can you miss that and how can you hold up the strike out sign and then point the guy towards first base?

That's fine. It's a FACT the ump screwed up. It's OVER. It happens to ALL of our teams at one time or another. It sucks now move along. Are you going to cry about it all day?

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense intended, but anyone who whines about an umpire not seeing a 90 mph ball graze an off-white uniform in game 2 of a World Series needs to STFU if there is a Cardinal fan within 100 miles. Thank you.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    just fandango and his pujolsimage
  • Options
    It aint rocket science. It aint brain surgery. The ball is coming right at you, what else do you want...instant replay?

I thought the umps for the world series were the best of the best, not the far sighted crew. Let the players decide the games, not the fat idiots behind the
    plate. These guys are lucky they are getting a check!

JS
  • Options
    larryallen73 said it best:
    Anybody over 10 years old that complains about the refs costing them a game is pathetic in my opinion.

P.S.
    "MLB can't find a few guys who can see? Is this really the best of the best?"
    Isn't it a shame that joestalin isn't working the plate for the remainder of the World Series? Joe never makes any mistakes in his job, right Joe? image
  • Options
    Lets just say missing a batter getting hit by a pitch who is standing right in front of you, is like leaving a scalpel inside a patient. Do doctors goes lifetimes without
    doing that..yes. How many umps over the course of the 2008 regular season blew that kind of call? 1....MAYBE!

This is a bad time for on the job training. Know what a balk is, know that if you hit the jersey its the same as hitting the batter, and know that if you put your
    hand up in the air after 2 strikes that it is a strikout and not a walk.

thats it

JS
  • Options

<< <i>It aint rocket science. >>

Rocket science?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Word of advice to Kevin: don't complain and blame the umps when your team loses...even if it's a legitimate complaint, you come off sounding like a whiner, not a winner.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    yet another blown call leads to a rays run.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yet another blown call leads to a rays run. >>

that call sucked... moyer deserved better for the effort. ump never heard the ball into the glove cause it was barehanded?

that SUCKED.
  • Options
    ahole wasn't even in position, just guessed. Is this the same idiot that missed plays behind the plate?

JS
  • Options
    I don't suppose stalin will be complaining about the strike zone given to Moyer tonight. Could've driven a truck through it.

No complaints by me. Just pointing out stalin's inability to see two sides to any story.
  • Options
    again one is opinion and one is fact. and why are you still here Brewers lost a long time ago!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>again one is opinion and one is fact. and why are you still here Brewers lost a long time ago!

JS >>

I must've missed the rules that stated once your team is out, you have to stop watching the sport.

If that's the case, you're done for football this season. (and next, most likely)
  • Options
    I suppose Rollins' double-clutch was the ump's fault, too.