Home Sports Talk
Options

What On Earth Is A Staph Inflection?!

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
So you might have heard that Kellen Winslow stated that he had a staph inflection and claims that the Browns asked him to conceal it because apparently there had been six known cases since 2005 with the Browns. My initial response was what on earth is a staph infection? So I looked it up and apparently, a staph infection is quite serious as it can potentially be life-threatening. Now that is a crazy story.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    They really are quite serious and have become increasingly resistant to antibiotics, like so many other bacteria-borne diseases.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Staph infections are very serious and can be deadly depending on it's variety. Basically everyone has staph on your skin and depends if you get a cut a skin breakdown in the same place. Just last week the 7 ft 6ish basketball player from UNC had to have part of his foot amputated because of the MSRA staff infection. It was saying that 1 out of 4 people need to be in the hospital for 2 weeks for IV's and such. I work in the movies and I've had several fellow workers get serious staff infections while working at various sound stages which are probably all over 60 to 75 years old or more. Lots of dust, dirt and old wood.

Even my 6 weekold baby girl had MSRA as well at one week old, but her cream medication seemed to do the trick.

Be careful in older places as you never know what's out there and be sure to wash and wash yourself.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    EXTREMELY serious situation.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    what they saidimage bad stuff
  • Options
    One of my best friends had one last year on his KNEE. He went from being star wide receiver of our football team (as a junior) to fearing the potential loss of his leg in a matter of days. I hope the best for Kellen Winslow!
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    In wrestling I had one on my neck from being scratched. It spread over to 1/2 of the left side of my neck and face. I had to go on antibiotics and they made me wear a mask and tape on my neck to wrestle. My antibiotics cleared it up in a matter of days however.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    one of my son's friends on his football team had it...started as a cut and within a week looked gross....had to take medication for it and he was lucky it cleared up in about two weeks....also it is highly contagious from what I understand.
  • Options
    My cousin's wife had a baby and two weeks later had a staph infection inside. She lost both legs and her hands. Barely survived.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I lost a friend in January to MRSA. She died 2 days after diagnosis, was 32 and in good overall health. It's scary.