Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Two super tough ms67 clad quarters for sale: 1980-d and 1991-p!

Both are untoned and flashy. The 1980-d (pop 16/0) is $695 and the 1991-p (pop 9/0) is $1195. The 1991 was from a roll. They don't come that nice in mint sets, and rolls are ridiculously hard to find. Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both are untoned and flashy. The 1980-d (pop 16/0) is $695 and the 1991-p (pop 9/0) is $1195. The 1991 was from a roll. They don't come that nice in mint sets, and rolls are ridiculously hard to find. Thanks for looking! >>

The mint set '91-P are actually pretty great unless you don't like deep scratches. image

They come extremely well made from perfect dies on burnished planchets. A few
    of them look almost like proofs. The problem is that they are all scratched up and
    the thing that varies the most is the depth of the marking. A very few will grade
    gem but probably none as high as MS-67. I have seen a couple that are close.

I don't consider the '80-D that tough but this one is nearly common in MS-65 and
    is tough in the higher grades (especially 67). These come nice in the sets and rolls
    which are rarely good quality are relatively available.

There were a lot of reasons to avoid saving rolls in '91. It was the beginning of the
    funk that would turn into the coin depression of 1995. No one seemed to believe
    any coin priced under $1000 was worth much of anything and the higher priced
    coins hardly traded. There seemed little point in saving new rolls especially since
    most of them contained mangled coins as well. Always in the past the nicest coins
    were in the mint set and it would be a couple years before many realized this might
    not be true for the '91 quarter. By then there would be no rolls to save.

Most collectors will be able to have a pretty nice gem or near gem '80-D if these ev-
    er get a little popular. Most collectors will have to settle for a choice, at best, '91-P.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Jaime! I have personally slabbed about 6 or 7 of the 91-p all from mint sets but i have reviewed 10's of thousands and it is easy to not find even a 66 at times from a 1,000 set search. They come in lucky sweet spots it seems. Just a couple have been PQ with possibly the nicest one residing in the Plowman set bordering ms68 with a few less field die lines.
  • Options
    Ah, I stand corrected. The rolls I've owned from the early 90's (about a dozen of them) are not that bad but the mint sets I've owned (maybe about 200) yielded nothing even close to submitting. I think you told me it's 91-d that can't be found in ms67 in mint sets and I assumed the same for 91-p.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    The p is doable but not the D IMHO for 1991