Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Are "unopened" proof sets also "unsearched"?

I was thinking about completing a couple modern sets by taking advantage of the "Free PCGS slabbing for 90% complete sets". I figure the price of the Proof set is only about double what I'd have to pay for the coin itself and then I get the other coins for free with the potential to get them free-slabbed in the future as well.

However, I want at least the possibility of a PR70DCAM. I don't want to buy up a set that someone has already cherry picked for anything good.

So, if I put a bid down on an "Unopened Proof Set" how do I know it is also "Unsearched"?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considered it searched by someone for something....

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I would only pay a premium for an 'unopened' proof set if I could see the packaging in hand, not online.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it really depnds upon the set.

Proof sets in "sealed envelopes" certainly do exist even though there is a strong market for knock-off envelopes. I think its realtively easy to figure out which ones have been faked.

For proof sets from 1968 to date, the possibility of them not being searched is pretty slim but not unheard of.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

There are unopened,unsearched sets still out there, several weeks ago I pulled (5) 1958 Cams from (10) sealed sets, I still have (2) that will Cam when I submit them, of the (5) there were
    (2) PF67 (2) PF68 and (1) PF69.......all cameo.....these were done AST, the PF69 cameo and (1) of the 68's are going to pcgs to see if they will cross.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    You don't see proof set boxes for sale at coin shows for no reason, it's because smoeone is going to put to gether a proof set and sell it as OGP
  • Options
    image ahhh NO
  • Options
    You have to really know and trust your dealer, I know one like that.

Al