Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple of new purchases and re-imaging.

The first one is in an old PCGS MS60 green label.
1885 Sydney shield back Sovereign.

and another coin from the Eliasberg collection:

Token 5 soles.Fr-76. 1.67 grams.

Ex. John H. Clapp Collection, 1942.

I've re-imaged my Serbian 20 Dinar.

and Pittman Syria 1/2 Pound.

Comments

• Options
    I really like that 1/2 pound. I don't think I have ever seen any of those before.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Very cool coins! image

Interesting that the Peruvian uses the term "obolo", never heard that outside of Greek, though I really haven't looked for it... Is that how they designate it as a token?

And I wholeheartedly agree that Syrian is spectacular! They produced a lot of similarly neat, ornate designs, many of them being affordable minors.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    nice new purchases and you did a great job re-imaging !!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.

nice new purchases and you did a great job re-imaging !!

Yes not bad, but the reverses on the Sovereign and the 1/2 pound looks slightly blurred, the Serbian one came out nice though.

Interesting that the Peruvian uses the term "obolo", never heard that outside of Greek, though I really haven't looked for it... Is that how they designate it as a token?

I think you could be on to something there. it is actually listed in Krause at the end of the Peru section as a token.
    Also on the reverse:

"In hoc signo vinces is the rendition in Latin of the Greek phrase "εν τούτω νίκα", en toutōi nika, meaning "in this [sign] you will conquer".
    The phrase is the motto of many noble dynasties, Royalties and secret societies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_hoc_signo_vinces
  • Options
    Hus,
    Those are very nice gold coins that you've got there.The Aussie Sovereign is the nicest one of the lot.

Aidan.